Why become a member? ×

Butler Tube Driver on bass?

Bassnut62

I'd email them and ask if they have any Bass samples of have produced any directly for bassists... Not something I imagine there are many of floating around. Looks interesting though! Not sure it would do anything more than the EBS Valve drive or a DHA unit though - both of which are rather wonderful!

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1323716892' post='1466219']
They used to make a bass specific model of this pedal, can't remember what it was called though (I think it may have been "Blue Tube" or something like that).
[/quote]

Yep, it was the Blue Tube.

I've got the rack version which is gives a really nice rich overdrive and has a bias control. It's the bias control that makes this a killer OD - allows you to change the character of the distortion rather than just the level or tone of it. I've also got a Real Tube pedal - good distortion but doesn't have the depth of the Blue Tube and has way too much distortion on tap for my tastes. No bias control either (only the rack had that).

Sadly no experience of the Tube Driver though, so not a lot of help for the OP.

just tried a BK Butler with bias control on guitar last night.
that is one nice bit of kit.
as Musky says - the bias control is a great attraction; but it's not all that's so nice about it - it produces distinct and delicous layers of creamy distortion that cheaper pedals usually don't get close to IME

I compared the Butler to a Keely Tube Screamer, an HBE Power Screamer and a Catalinbread SFT
It smoked the two Screamers in no time, but then they are different animals.
The SFT gave it a serious run for its considerable money though.
The SFT could produce the same distinct layers of tube amp like distortion as the Butler, but doesn't have the bias control.
I think the Butler's layers of dirt were slightly more pleasing to the ear; but not much in it really.

the Butler is probably about £300 compared to about £120 for the SFT.
Pound for pound the SFT wins; but the Butler is a dream piece of kit IMO.

.....if only there was a bass available at the time of testing!

PS. the Butler produces its own natural tube compression, the SFT needs it to be added, which I did with Keely 4-knob (at £175)
So the SFT and Keely 4-knob is £300, compared to the Butler at £300....hmmmm, not so straight forward a price comparison now.
If all you wanted was incredible amp-like tube drive and distortion, then I'd get the Butler
But then that Keely is a great compressor and it would be nice to have that available on its own for use with other toys......

Edited by Bassnut62