Why become a member? ×

Squier Jaguar Moding/Upgrading advice sought

indiegrungesound

Just making some preliminary enquiries about possible upgrades to my current main bass. The Squier Jag is lighter has a slimer neck than either of the proper Fender Jaguars-both the Deluxe and the Modern player models.(Cheaper too!) However, the last time I played it, the pickup-which had it's active EQ on flat-went back and forth from being too quiet to too loud.

Now, apart from the other variables, like the battery maybe need changing, The Laney RB9 amp I was using or just my wonky technique; I wanted to know what pickup I should upgrade it to if I decide to change it?

Any advice is appreciated.

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1323565527' post='1464671']
is this the single pickup, musicman-style model ?
[/quote]
Yes it is. Though I've noticed that the Jaguar's pickup is more "Soapbar" size than "Musicman" size.

[quote name='munkonthehill' timestamp='1323592879' post='1464712']
I have tried both the squier and modern Jags and no way are the necks thinner than the fender jags! infact if the fender Jag neck was any thinner it wouldnt be able to support the tension of the strings!!!!
[/quote]
Just going off how I felt when I tried the Modern Player model out. Different strokes I guess! (It's a shame, as they are beautiful looking & sounding!)

Thanks for the feedback so far!

given that pickups tend to be the weak link on cheaper instruments it probrably would be worth replacing it if you think that's the root of the problem, but finding one to fit might be tough if it's not a standard size.

what are the dimensions of the pickup ?

Edited by ahpook

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1323813452' post='1467496']
given that pickups tend to be the weak link on cheaper instruments it probrably would be worth replacing it if you think that's the root of the problem, but finding one to fit might be tough if it's not a standard size.

what are the dimensions of the pickup ?
[/quote]

Sorry for the late reply! I think the pickup is the same size/dimensions as the double humbuckers on Ibanez's SRX models.

TBH, thinking of getting a new bass at the mo. Thanks for the feedback anyway!