Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sound from Orange AD200

Amazoman

Hi folks,
I have the opportunity to buy an Orange Ad200 Mk 3. at the right price. My only real concern is that I have very little knowledge of the Orange sound. I look at players who use Orange and it seems to be a 'rock' style with a gritty overdrive tone.
I've scoured you tube but there is very little on there that shows sound samples.

Is it possible to get a creamy, bluesy tone out of this amp? or is that not what it was designed for!

It can definitely do a creamy bluesy tone, but I found it did break up relatively easy. Crank the master volume and keep the gain low to get a big fat bassy pillowy sound. I love that overdriven sound, so I did the opposite, cranked the gain to about 2 o'clock and used master to taste. Although they're rated at 200watts, there's quite a bit of discussion on the net about them coming in under this...maybe about 160watts, so you're not going to get massive volume unless you've got plenty of speakers.

Thanks for the replies. I think I will give it a punt. My understanding is that it is an amp that will have good resale value without losing money. I don't need 'loud' just medium size venues. When you say 'valve swapping' what would be good valves to swap to for the cleaner creamy sound?

There`s a thread on here about swapping the valves in Orange Terrors, to get more cleans. May be worth a search on that, see what people reckon. Must work - I assume - with the AD200 as well. From what I recall on this, as Mr Foxen says, ECC81s seemed to be the recommended change.