Why become a member? ×

Hiwatt DR112 100w PA

Bigjas

I bought this PA head 20 years ago from my neighbour, to use as a PA head in my first band (I was the singer). I didn't know what I was buying (and he didn't know what he was selling) and I just thought it was an old PA head with a couple of old speakers, but it got me gigging and I used it for a few years until I Joined other bands and didn't need it any longer. I put it in the loft and forgot about it until a few weeks ago when I stumbled across a thread in the for sale section of BC, Hiwatt custom 100 Bass head for sale £750!!

So I did some homework and realised I had quite a nice guitar/bass valve amp in the loft. So I got it out and sent it off to the local tech guy to get it serviced. Got it back yesterday, and wow!! what a lovely smooth sound it makes with my Bass guitar. The amp has 6 inputs, so I used a junction box to plug in to 3 inputs on the amp and it just makes the nicest sound ever. I am so chuffed :o :)
I used a Marshall 4x10 cab and then a Peavey 1x15 cab and its great. I can see why some people love the vintage gear. It has the original Partridge transformers, Bulgin Lead etc, and the tech guy said its in great condition. I have dated it to 1974 using the S/N, 2 years younger than me and its certainly wearing better than me!!

My missus wants me to sell it, but now i've played it, I'm not so sure :)

I tried it with my PRS 6 string, and again its a lovely amp with that too. I suppose its a kind of 'Barn Find' as in I had something pugged away that I didn't realise was reasonably rare and worth a few quid. First time thats ever happened to me :)

Some pics

Jas

Excellent find, Jaz. I have the 200w KT88 version, which, for my money, is the definitive 'bass headroom' amp. Just enough 'colour' to not be 'hi-fi'; takes pedals brilliantly, or great just plugged straight in, guitar or bass. I used mine originally for PA, back in the 70's, before symmetric mic's and such. A tad 'too much' for bedroom practice, but gives a very convincing rendition on almost any size stage. Our sound tech's love it. So do I. A keeper, especially seeing the apparently fine condition yours is in. Well done.
(If it's not already done, record the s/n in the register on the vintage Hiwatt site, they are an excellent community imho.)