Why become a member? ×

Thunderbirds, epiphone or expensive Gibson?

The Goatreich

• 4 weeks later...

I used to have an Epiphone one, and it was a bit of fun to play, the Gibson is better, but I'm a little more precious about it, so I seem to have less fun playing it. I'd like to try the Fender-bird idea, sounds awesome.

+1 for the Epiphone T-Bird Pro, it bears no resemblance to the standard Epi T-Bird which is a standard bolt on Fender copy in the T-Bird shape. The T-Bird Pro is Mahogany and Maple, 5-piece Thru-neck, active electronics, humbuckers and the bridge is waayyy better than even the Gibson one! I had one, I loved it, but not as much as I love my Fenders, so it had to go :)

One thing to watch for, they are made in china and as such the QC is a bit dodgy, I had to do a wiring repair and replace some of the pickup screws on mine (the cheap screws break pretty easily going into hard woods) and to avoid neck dive put a strap button on the back right at the end of the neck. oh and buy straplocks!

I don't think the Gibson T-birds I have played are worth the extra ££s having tried the Epiphone T-Bird Pro to be honest. just my 2p