Why become a member? ×

Bass Cleaning

Joe 'Dingo' Wright

Be wary of using fruit or veg oil on your wood, such as lemon oil or olive oil as there's a chance that it could perish over a period of time (how long that time is, I do not know. But googled oiling fretboards a few years back & there's a split on using lemon oil).

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1323516655' post='1464071']
oiling fretboards a few years back & there's a split on using lemon oil).
[/quote]

Yes, I have noticed that. On the [b]very[/b] rare occasions that I do oil my FB, I use "Fret Doctor".

[url="http://www.beafifer.com/boredoctor.htm"]http://www.beafifer.com/boredoctor.htm[/url]

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1323283378' post='1461635']
If people washed their hands each time before picking up the bass, it would reduce drastically, the need for fret cleaning in the first place, not to mention prolonging string life. I have often seen guitarists and bassists pick up their instrument with hands that looked like they had just come from changing the engine in a car. :) All I ever need for FB cleaning is a moist cloth and a quick rub when changing strings. Also, oiling (regardless of what you use) should be kept to a minimum, as over oiling can be as bad as none at all. I oil my FB around every eighteen months or two years. Still looks great.
[/quote]

Indeedy. I always at least give the old hands a quick rinse before picking the bass up. I have noticed that this has made me very aware of the few times that i have picked the bass up with greasy hands, after eating a pizza or something. Once you get into a routine of rinsing your hands before playing the bass, you do it automatically, just like you do before you eat.

PS: Does anyone know if there Is anywhere in the UK you can buy [i]Fret Doctor[/i], so you dont have to pay mad post charges for something the size of a half eaten pack of Polo mints ?

Edited by daz

[quote name='daz' timestamp='1323739729' post='1466528']

PS: Does anyone know if there Is anywhere in the UK you can buy [i]Fret Doctor[/i], so you dont have to pay mad post charges for something the size of a half eaten pack of Polo mints ?
[/quote]

I got mine from the site I linked earlier. Cant remember the all in price, but I know it was reasonable, and with the minimal amount I use, it should last for years. Email them and ask for a shipping price.

[quote name='daz' timestamp='1323739729' post='1466528']
Indeedy. I always at least give the old hands a quick rinse before picking the bass up. I have noticed that this has made me very aware of the few times that i have picked the bass up with greasy hands, after eating a pizza or something. Once you get into a routine of rinsing your hands before playing the bass, you do it automatically, just like you do before you eat.

[/quote]

If my hands are greasy, or I've spilt something on them i do wash my hands before picking up the bass, id never touch it with filthy hands.

Has anyone had much experience with composite fret boards?

I must admit, im swinging toward a small application of WD 40 on the board. I just want to be sure first!