Why become a member? ×

Strings- cleaning!?

basstech

I've been using Rotosound Swing 66's for a while on a Warwick corvette five string but am getting p'd off that their tone doesn't seem to last long and they're expensive. Anyone clean strings using meths? Does it work?
I think I'll try out either Warwick black labels or Elixir coated - any views/experience anyone?
JB

[quote name='basstech' timestamp='1322756902' post='1455520']
I've been using Rotosound Swing 66's for a while on a Warwick corvette five string but am getting p'd off that their tone doesn't seem to last long and they're expensive. Anyone clean strings using meths? Does it work?
I think I'll try out either Warwick black labels or Elixir coated - any views/experience anyone?
JB
[/quote]

I always take them off and clean them with a cotton pad and a small amount of rubbing alcohol/surgical spirit (you can get it in superdrug/boots for about £2). Works a treat for me and my bass tutor commented on how my year old strings looked new so must work alright! :) It is scary seeing the sheer amount of gunk that comes off though!

Just make sure you let them dry before putting them back on, don't want the residue drying the fretboard wood.

Edited by Rich44

• 4 weeks later...

I clean my strings with meths. I've made a very simple string cleaning tube, it's 15mm diameter, sealed off at one end, just the right length for a set of 4 strings, fill it full of meths (which does not take much at all), drop the strings in, the curls at the top help to hold them in place, lean it in the corner of a room for as long as you like (usually a day or so in my case), take em out, dry them, which is very quick as it evaporates, put them in the "string next" pile. I dont think any amount of cleaning will make them sound like brand new, but i find this works really well for me.

Requirements.
Plastic plumbing type tube about 15mm diameter - get from local "aladins cave" type Robert Dyas hardware store
Rubber cup to suit - as above
held on tight with a good wrap of black insulation tape or possibly glue it on.
I've also modified an old wine bottle cork with a bit of a slot to jam in the top where the curly bits of string are, just in case it should get knocked over, it should slow down any spillage.

[quote name='basstech' timestamp='1322756902' post='1455520']
JB
[/quote]

I use the same strings, and don`t like them straight out of the packet, far too zingy, but also don`t like them completely dead. So I apply Fast Fret once a week, and this keeps them from deadening completely.