Why become a member? ×

Evan Marien

ojplaysbass

I'm sure this has already been raised but i'd like to raise awareness of this guy

http://evanmarien.com/

he's probably the first player i've heard in about 5 years who's really doing something exciting (<-that isn't meant to cause controversy or insult).

love to know what the rest of you think

p.s. the drummers i've heard/seen him play with are pretty damned awesome too

Hello,

I think he's a great player and a real talent. However I do find a similarity in approach and sound with players that use E-C tuning with the notable exception of Matt Garrison. Perhaps it's the tuning or perhaps the factor that they all use hyper speed picking techniques but I find Hadrien Feraud, Tony Grey, Janek Gwizdala and Evan Marien a little similar. My personal favourite of the guys playing in this style at the moment is Eli Marcus. Check him out.

I agree re the drummers Evan Marien plays with. Check out Dana Hawkins he's pretty scary.

Cheers,

Mark.

Well that's pretty obvious that those top guys have something in common. THough, I think that music-wise all these guys are doing quite different stuff, I mean you cant really compare Janek's music to Had's because it's just different stuff, isn't it. The nearest similarity music-wise I can find is Marien to Grey maybe.

I've heard some of stuff of that Eli Marcus' (as a coincidence, my friend studied with him in Berklee, and recorded his album in NYC with Eli's help) and I thought it was pretty killin', I need to check out his album, and maybe buy it.

As for Evan's stuff, I could only stand it for like first 30seconds, but that's my problem, not his - he's truly a monster player.

As for Dana Hawkins - I've seen him with Gerald Clayton Trio, which was one of the best seen jazz gigs in my life, and that guy can really play jazz, I mean he was killin' with his sense of swing... PS Due to its tricky name and being very far from the stage at that gig, I literally thought that it was a woman playing, not a guy... :)

PPS Feraud doesnt use E-C (to my big surprise, actually, as he's far more a successive soloist, rather than a sideman..)

easy guys
Laimis

I was looking after some Dean Brown Band live footage from his Europe tour (he started yesterday in Germany); he's having Hadrien Feraud on bass; and while I havent found any Euro footage, I found one of Dean's latest gig footage from Baked Potato in LA, and guess what, Feraud is playing Jazz bass...

The sound is not really the best, as the input was overloaded, but you can get the idea..
Oh and Had finally started playing root notes.. :)

Skip to 1:20

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRTwDhMG1iE&feature=related[/media]

Edited by Faithless

Thanks to both of you for the clarification on the tuning front. Still doesn't change my feeling that his sound and approach is somewhat similar to a number of other players. He is as I stated previously a talented player nevertheless.

Cheers,

Mark.

Sounds like late Tribal Tech to me but without the edge. I hear lots of production but not a great deal of depth.

There are elements of of Patitucci in there (might be the Ken Smith) and the octave dividier is a very old trick. He's not a bad player but certainly nothing here is grabbing me. Same with Eli Marcus. Massive production effort and a lot of electricity used but the music is cold as fcuk. The basses sound over processed to me. I'm probably not being fair but these drummers playing variations on straight backbeats are pretty soulless. Try this. All the creativity but these are playing not programming!! Listen tot he the way the drummer plays WITH the time not just playing it. And the dynamics WITHIN HIS PLAYING are astonisihing. His control is much more profound than these new breed of hip-hop drummers. Watch his right hand (tune goes onto a second video).

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7GmHiA9HKs&feature=related[/media]

Correct me if I'm wrong but the drummer in the Sco video is Bill Stewart. I think it's hard to make comparisons across two obviously different musical genres with regard to drumming styles. I like Dana Hawkins as I find his approach unconventional and I also like the higher (tighter) tuning of his drums. He is also young and finding his own way of playing; to compare him to Bill Stewart who is arguably one of the modern giants of Jazz drumming is a little unfair in my opinion.

Sco has a habit of using great drummers, Bill Stewart, Dennis Chambers and Adam Deitch to name three all of whom are very different in style.

I guess my issue is that I can't think of a drummer as great if I know others are 'greater' :). Stewart can play a back beat like a monster. I know a lot of Stewart but have only heard this Dana Hawkins guy today so a comparison is unfair, I agree, but I can't get excited about backbeat drummers like this appear to be. I have to say, also, that, despite and early Rush obsession, I find Neil Peart a bit thuggish!

Here what you're saying Bilbo. There are better examples of Dana's playing which demonstrate exceptional skill. I agree that sometimes players with such an enhanced skill level do sometimes appear cold. Dave Weckl received similar criticism early in his career and has turned out to be one of the true drumming greats. He did study and radically changed his approach and now he seems to play more organically with much more feel. Neil Peart is a great drummer as well but in his own genre. He was exposed rather badly when he played with the Buddy Rich big band and swung about as well as a ten ton concrete block.

Cheers,

Mark.