Why become a member? ×

Old Hofner bass tone cap distortion?

MoonBassAlpha

Hi knowledgable ones.
Has it ever been known for an old tone cap to cause distortion? As I wind the tone towards 10 (more bassy on Hofners!) a bit of distortion seems to be introduced. It only does it on the neck p\u and gets worse from about 6-10. The tone changes as it should. The pickups have been rewound this week.
I listened on headphones and monitor speakers-sounded the same on both, even at low volumes.
Bass is a '64 Verithin.
Cheers
Jules

Well the tone caps don't do much work, but if these are the originals then they're 47 years old - probably far older than the manufacturer expected them to last. :)

I'd be tempted to unsolder one leg of the cap and stick another one in temporarily and see if that resolves the situation.

I was monitoring the levels into my Zoom HD recording thing and made sure it was well short of clipping, so "hotness" shouldnt be an issue.
Being a semi-acoustic, the tone control isn't the easiest to get to, but that is a top suggestion - any idea what the value it would have been originally?
I'm guessing 0.022 or 0.047uF ish.

Thanks chaps!

Hi All
Tried it again with amp and speaker. It's much mure noticable on headphones. I tried playing a lot harder, and the distortion got a bit worse, then suddenly.... it fixed itself and is now working correctly with no distortion.
I can only assume it was someting to do with the pot wiper, and a bit more voltage going through it cleared the path.
Anyway, result! (especially as the owner is collecting it this week!)
Thanks for the help though.
Jules

Good stuff.
Do you think it might have been an errant vibration that was being picked up which you have now "fixed" by playing harder? Playing hard to clear the path of the pot wiper sounds a little like blowing down the phone to clear the fluff at the exchange... if you're old enough to remember that one? :)

Regardless, get some switch cleaner on your pots just in case.