Why become a member? ×

Expression pedal splitting

pantherairsoft

Just an idea to solve something I've been trying to achieve.

Do you think a simple ABY box, like this - http://www.brightonion.co.uk/categories/AB%7B47%7DABC%7B47%7DABY/ABY-Pedals/

Would act as an expression pedal splitter.

So expression pedal into the input, each of the 2 outputs go to exp. inputs of pedals (or the same pedal (I'm thinking moogerfooger here)), then by using the foot switches you can control either OR both parameters at the same time.

Obviously the ABY would need to be fitted with Stereo sockets in and out if the expression pedal/pedal inputs require TRS.

My only worry with the Moogerfoogers is being control voltage. Would splitting the signal mean splitting the control voltage (so when only one output is selected you give the input 0-5v, but when both are selected you'd only offer 0-2.5v each?)?

Thoughts?

I'd been trying to find out about doing this. I asked on the Moog forum if a Y splitter would work if I wanted to control 2 parameters by the same amount, but no one seemed to know.
Someone did say about getting a bunch of jacks & making a CV patchbay & powering it, but I couldn't find a schematic.

I think what you're wanting to do should work. Send James at BOP an email & he'll let you know. My singer has had a few things made from him & is very happy with his stuff.

[quote name='EskimoBassist' timestamp='1322265666' post='1448882']
How about this Expressionator module which Jean Baudin has been testing over on Talkbass? Released soon, here's a demo:

[/quote]

I lasted 4mins then turned this clip off :) not my idea of a bass sound at all :) :)
Amazing what some peeps get up to with four strings though isn't it? :o

• 1 month later...

I did.

The expressionator (See other thread) is about the best option, however, for the A/B solution for 2 pedals can be done with some slight tweaks. James @ BOP said he could do it no problem for around the cost of his A/B Pedals if I recall - It it needs to work with control voltages though (as mine was for use with Moogerfoogers) it can't be done with LED's for on or off - which was what put me off.

I re-jigged my set up shortly after and so the need was removed. All though the expressionator has me thinking all sorts of options.

If you need a simple 2-way option drop James @ BOP an email and I'm sure he'll sort it for you!

The issue (as far as I can see) is that things like expression pedals and footswitches for pedals tend to be given voltages by the pedals they are used in (the "remote" connection on a boss DS-2 is 9v as an example). If you then want to plug them into more than one device you risk shorting the pedals out. The only way to have one device controlling two pedals is to essentially have two switches (or potentiometers) in one footswitch so that they are electrically separate.

A trick some people use for turning a volume pedal into an expression pedal (google it) is to connect a stereo --< 2x mono cable between a volume pedal and the effects pedal.

If you had a stereo volume pedal this should be moddable into a double expression pedal...

Edited by RandomProddy

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1ia2h__JtM[/media]

And a stereo pedal should be a double expression pedal

Edit: Behold my fearsome MSpaint skillz!

Disclaimer: THIS IS ONLY A THEORY - please check with a multimeter that the two volume channels are in fact not connected before you try this..

Edited by RandomProddy