Why become a member? ×

Reluctant sale - 1989 Spector NS-2A (neck thru) - Very good condition - £450

Evil Undead

As I need the cash and my Ibanez isn't selling, I'm afraid I need to let this one go.

It's a monster of a bass. The previous owner upgrade the pickups to an active EMG PJ system which can run on either 9v or 18v.

This has the fully curved NS body shape which is extremely comfortable to play, and the bass weighs 8.5 lbs.

The neck is dead straight but the truss rod won't turn - the reason for this is that is hasn't been turned once in the whole 22 years since it was built. Which says a huge amount about the quality of the bass. I'm sure it wouldn't take much to sort this out but I haven't needed to have it looked at as the neck is perfect.

The only other issue is a couple of small cracks in the lacquer on the back of the headstock. I've had these checked by a man in the know, and he has confirmed that there are no cracks in the wood, just in the thick clearcoat. Pictures to follow of this, as it's so minimal I'm having trouble getting it to show in photos!

The NS-2A's were made during the Kramer era - around 7000 were produced between 1987-1990 in Korea. There's more information here: [url="http://spectorbass.com/about/model_years_2.html"]http://spectorbass.c...el_years_2.html[/url] (about half way down the page) - all accurate besides the electronics package, which, as mentioned above, has been upgraded.

These original Spector import basses have a great reputation with this top of the range NS-2A model often being rated as 90% the quality of the legendary full US NS2 models, but for a fraction of the price - the main differences being non-gold hardware, Rosewood rather than Pau Ferro board and 3A rather than 5A grade maple bodies!

I've upgraded the strap buttons to Dunlop dual design strap lock buttons, and just had the input jack replaced as it was a bit intermittent, and now works perfectly.

All in all, it's in excellent condition for a 22 year old instrument.

I'm asking £500 or best offer which is a huge bargain! Collection only from Gloucester.

[size=5][color=#ff0000]Last Price drop £450[/color][/size]

Edited by Evil Undead

For those who don't already know, these Kramer NS-2A models were designed/specified in collaboration with Stuart Spector (who selected the wood substitutions). The circuitry was redesigned, certainly, but everything else was as you'd expect from an original NS2. Sure, the hardware looked a little plain by comparison, and the bridge was a cast alloy as opposed to brass, but you were still getting Schaller gear. When I played one alongside my NS2, it had the original Spector branded/EMG designed passive pickups onboard (although most people swapped these out for EMGs), but it certainly scored nine out of ten in every category. The OP's, as it's from the later part of the production run, has the added advantage of featuring a serial number (the early ones didn't), and has to be one of the nicest looking NS-2A examples I've seen for some time.

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1323083824' post='1458946']
A "this is too nice to be languishing, picks up a map to check where Gloucester is" type bump.
[/quote]

Nowhere is too far for a Spector :)

I forgot to say in the OP, I'm willing to meet somewhere... perhaps half way. I don't have a car but can get the train to most places.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a link to the bass on ebay with more photos

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230708568125?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649#ht_558wt_1145"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230708568125?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649#ht_558wt_1145[/url]

Edited by Evil Undead