Why become a member? ×

Jam Nights

allighatt0r

Tonight I'm going to my first ever Jam Night at a (fairly) local pub, with my brother (also a bassist) and my dad (not a musician at all). I was wondering what to expect, should i announce myself when i get there? Should i take my own bass. Am i going to get hostile looks from the locals? :)

I'm not scared, i'm just apprehensive, I'm not sure what the style will be, if it's jazz i will be a total fish out of water, same if it turns into something metal (although, i guess i could try and blag my way through The Trooper.)

I searched and found [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=1493"]this topic[/url] but i decided to start a new one as thats so old.

So... Any interesting experiences to share? What are the main un-written rules? :huh:

From my experience, if you enjoy playing Root, 5ths & 7ths blues all bloody night whilst a 'not so hot' lead guitarist attempts a major solo over the other guitarists minor chords then you'll have a blast! :)
Could be wrong though!

Edited by tombboy

Someone there will be collecting names of people who want to play and what tunes they want to play. Talk to them, ask them what the deal is - they will usually help you to find some like minded people you can sit in with. Bass players tend to play more than most because there are usually less of them so expect to play some stuff you don't know with some people you have never met :) Something like a 'funk jam in E' or just a riff between two chords - you'd be surprised how much fun something that simple can be (and how great the bass player can sound on those open Es!!)

Remember, its not the end of the world if a piece goes t*ts up, even if it's your fault. Its a jam and sometimes things go wrong - use your ears and eyes and don't panic. And try not to try too hard to be 'cool' because trying to be cool is the uncoolest thing of all. If its your fault it goes wrong, say so, apologise and have another go! A smile or a laugh will get you farther than a scowl! Trust me, some people at these jams are astonishingly bad but its ok, thats what they are there for, for people who are starting out to have a go.

Most of all - have fun!!!!

Let us know how you got on.

[quote name='tombboy' post='163800' date='Mar 26 2008, 02:52 PM']From my experience, if you enjoy playing Root, 5ths & 7ths blues all bloody night[/quote]
Excellent, that's my brother's favourite, and i don't mind it either. :)

In case anyone was wondering, the jam night is at the Flying Fish Inn, in Carbrooke, just outside Watton, in Norfolk.

Edited by allighatt0r

[quote name='tombboy' post='163800' date='Mar 26 2008, 02:52 PM']From my experience, if you enjoy playing Root, 5ths & 7ths blues all bloody night whilst a 'not so hot' lead guitarist attempts a major solo over the other guitarists minor chords then you'll have a blast! ;)
Could be wrong though![/quote]

:) ;) :huh:

We've all been there...

[quote name='allighatt0r' post='163790' date='Mar 26 2008, 02:42 PM']Tonight I'm going to my first ever Jam Night at a (fairly) local pub, with my brother (also a bassist) and my dad (not a musician at all). I was wondering what to expect, should i announce myself when i get there? Should i take my own bass. Am i going to get hostile looks from the locals? :)

I'm not scared, i'm just apprehensive, I'm not sure what the style will be, if it's jazz i will be a total fish out of water, same if it turns into something metal (although, i guess i could try and blag my way through The Trooper.)

I searched and found [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=1493"]this topic[/url] but i decided to start a new one as thats so old.

So... Any interesting experiences to share? What are the main un-written rules? :huh:[/quote]

'noon,

Probably best to take your own bass, as there's no telling what might be available. Also best to ask the "house" bassist (assuming that's the setup) if it's o.k. to tweak amp settings - otherwise you'll just have to put up with it.

I've not long since started doing the same thing (at The Forest Hill Hotel in London SE23 on Tuesdays), & suspect that they're all going to be different. My local one is rather cliquey (sp?), & warrants a fair bit of learning to get to know their take on their favourites. If you're happy to slog out Mustang Sally & Johnny B Goode all night you'll love it.

I've gone for it as a relatively painless way of getting used to playing in front of an audience & a means of meeting local musos which could lead on to something else.

Enjoy & don't forget to let us know how it went.

Pete.

[quote name='gafbass02' post='163869' date='Mar 26 2008, 04:08 PM']Go for it mate, id never been to one before moving to cheltenham and now there are about five a week! I love just going along and jamming and ive made a bunch of great mates doing it too, and met a fellow basschatter too![/quote]

OK, where & when are the jam nights in Cheltenham?

Gloucester appears dead, so I might as well try Cheltenham if I can find my way in past all the roadworks and one way streets... (I hate Cheltenham for driving in...)

Im the Brother of the OP...

We turned up at this jam night last night and we were told that "terry" would arrive at half past eight but we had been told half six seven o'clock we were later told the football was on so he probably wouldn't turn up and locals probably wouldn't have approved if we played while the football was on........

So we going to try again next week

Rodders

Edited by Rodders

[quote name='gafbass02' post='164253' date='Mar 27 2008, 07:51 AM']The restoration (now Varsity) on weds, the strand on Thurs (my fave) the frog 'n fiddle on Fri, the fiery angel on Sun, apparently the St Pauls tavern every other Sun or something like that and i think theres a Tues one too, but cant remember where.[/quote]

thanks... I'll work out which one(s) suit me best for getting to and maybe see you there... not in the next two weeks though...

cor... this link's handy:

[url="http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=108178954918050176712.0000011321f877d0ef1f9"]http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msa=0&amp...1321f877d0ef1f9[/url]