Why become a member? ×

Noob Builder Question

Stroopy121

Hey,

I'm just moving into the design stage of a custom bass build and have got to thinking about scale and pickup placement.

Here's my question: If a bass is 34" scale, where is that 34" measured? I had always just thought it was nut to saddle, but if the saddles move and are at 4 slightly different positions then each string will have a slightly different scale..? In that case, do I just set the bridge so that the saddles all sit in a line at 34" on the nose when they are all in a "centre" position then adjust the saddles to fix the intonation after the build is finished?

xx

[quote name='Stroopy121' timestamp='1321007032' post='1434216']
Ahhhh ok, cheers!

So I have a 34" scale neck, when it comes to placing the bridge do I go about that in the way I described in the OP or is there another, simpler, way to do it?

xx
[/quote]

No. Measure the scale length then set the bridge so the saddle for the highest string (G, C whatever) sits bang on that mark when it's extended as far as it can go forwards (towards the nut). You can even set it slightly behind but most Fender type bridges tend to have more range than is needed. Even the lightest string and the lowest action needs the saddle pulled back a little for proper intonation so there's no point setting the saddles in the middle at 34", you're just losing half the adjustment range.

[quote name='Stroopy121' timestamp='1321011594' post='1434305']
Aha! That's perfect, thanks!

I had thought that the scale may need to be shortened slightly by the saddles for fixing intonation which is why I'd have set them in the middle. Marvellous.

Build Diary thread to come soon!

xx
[/quote]
Caution!!!!!!!! The scale needs to be lengthened, not shortened!!!!!!! Don't get that mixed up whatever you do!!!!!!!

Good luck with the build.