Why become a member? ×

1970 Fender Precision fretless

franzbassist

So, after Clarky spotted this bass on eBay I spoke with the shop selling the bass and bought it direct, as the opportunity to get a first production year fretless P was just too good to pass up.

I received the bass yesterday, and I spent last night dismantling it, giving it a good clean, fitting an East P-Retro circuit, some aged Fender pickup screws (the orginal pots and screws were long gone, so I had no qualms doing this) and a set of medium D'Addario Chromes to replace the black nylons that had been on there since 1985! A quick set up later and we were in business.

The bass was dirty, and I mean [i]very[/i] dirty, with lots of grime and oxidisation. A naphtha bath for almost all the metalwork cleaned things up no end, and although I got patches of the body to clean and gloss back up, a lot of it has resisted and stayed quite grimy. It's almost as if the muck has penetrated the finish and, in a couple of places, there are even fingerprints visible! I'll keep going at it to see if I can improve it, but at least most of this is confined to the back. There's quite a lot of checking in the finish too.

The bass has a December 1970 neck with a lovely rosewood fingerboard. The neck is in great shape. The oval tuners and threaded saddles look original to the bass, even though they had been officially phased out by 1970 - perhaps it was an older body from around 1968 but finished with a new neck? The bass balances very well and weighs a shade under 9lbs. It plays beautifully and I have a nice low action with minimal curve to the neck.

The sound? Deliciously woody and smoky in passive mode, which is I am sure how I will use it most of the time, but the P Retro in active mode may well come in useful for subtle changes of eq when I need to cut through. Overall though, a lovely bass.

Some pictures for your pleasure....

9/2012 Update: I removed the new pots and jack and replaced them with a genuine harness from 1968. Also now sports La Bella medium flats.

Edited by walbassist