Why become a member? ×

Power amp hum woes :(

pantherairsoft

[quote name='nottswarwick' timestamp='1320762212' post='1430983']
I could be wrong, but I don't think that disconnection of the ground on an XLR is dangerous - otherwise why would all DI boxes / DI outputs etc allow this.

Don't confuse this with disconnecting the ground on a mains lead - this IS dangerous, since if there is a fault and there is no earth on a piece of equipment (which would be the case if the lead had no earth), the metal case would become live.

So, try it - as long as it is a signal lead and not mains, you will be fine.
[/quote]

Oh yeah! :) That makes sense.

Can you tell I studied English Literature & Theatre as opposed to anything technical :)

[quote name='nottswarwick' timestamp='1320762399' post='1430990']
haha. Fingers crossed. Shame you can't just borrow another power amp. Could Nottingham PA lend you one quickly - they are just downstairs from you.
[/quote]

Chris - That ain't a bad thought dude! Never thought to pop in and see John.

Little more discussion with Dan @ GigRig and he seems pretty confident that the Stereo cable is the issue. I'll find out in the morning, But as I understand, the Preamp has a left and right out and should take a MONO output from either. In the words of Dan - "trs is where the problem is, if the earth from the output is where the ring is, then you’ll have no ground to the power amp, open circuit, buzz…….."

If it's that easy, I'll be a happy man.