Why become a member? ×

Route for different pickups, get a new body or sell the whole bass and start again?

Delberthot

After using the Thunderbird for the entire gig tonight and loving it I am thinking about getting a set of EMGs for my gold bass and the relevant routing required but I'm not sure that to do.

I have three choices:

get the body routed for the pickups and a battery box on the rear

Sell the body and buy another from Warmoth already routed for the pickup configuration I want

sell the whole bass and start again

sell the gold bass and get used to the fact that the Thunderbird is my one and only bass

The gold bass really looks the part and sounds amazing but isn't the sound that I have grown used to as being 'my' sound.

It was a pain to get it back as those of you who followed my thread will know but I'm not really sure what to do. I've been looking at the Warmoth site recently and was thinking about something completely different.

The Thunderbird has been withdrawn from sale permanently and has also been removed from Ebay. I just can't bring myself to sell it. Its too good.

I'm still getting used to the Warmoth so its not like an old friend that I feel at one with (the Thunderbird is) so I wouldn't be overly upset about selling it so it may very well be up for sale shortly if I decide to go for the completely new bass route.

is it the sound or the feel?
if you play the gold one does it feel good/better/worse than the thunderbird?
if you play them acoustically does the gold bass sound as good/better/worse?

I have a feeling that if the answer to any of them is as good or better routing for different pups may be the answer- there isn't much comparative resale price on warmoth stuff and if it's good to play and acoustically sounds good, why not do it? The gold one if I remember rightly I liked the look of the woods used and how it looked and I imagined it would feel and resonate, I personally never understood the pickup choice. but thats me.

or do you need to sell? could two different basses not be a nice thing?

It is the sound but also the feel. I've got used to playing the Thunderbird which has a really slim neck. I've played 5, 6, 8 and 12 strings so when i went back to a 4 I could pretty much pick up anything and it would seem easy to play but its been a while since I had anything with more than 4 strings so that nice slim Thunderbird neck is what I am used to.

The pickup choice was down to my Fender '51 reissue being one of my favourite basses out of all of the ones that I have owned but as things move on I've got used to having a bridge pickup.

I don't need to sell the bass but :)

Don't sell anything yet. Play the TBird for a while and enjoy it. After a while pick up the other one again, see if you love it again, if not then think about getting rid. The pickups make a big difference but there are other factors in getting the Thunderbird sound and if you like the feel of the Tbird too why try and make what you've already got from something that isn't even close?