Why become a member? ×

Status Graphite Neck for Fender/Musicman

dmz

Folks,

Just looking for opinions - what did putting a graphite neck on your Fender/Musicman bass bring to the table ??

Might be looking for a P-bass profile unlined fretless neck for a Jazz body

Anyone got one they no longer want ??

Not interested in Jazz profile necks by the way !

I used to own a trans teal 2 band Ray which I fitted a Status MM neck on. I picked up the neck(no tuners) for £150 on ebay. it was one of the earlier ones with the truss rod adjuster behind a flush plate on the fingerboard at somewhere around the 18th fret. the later ones have a adjustment at the neck end. I also had to drill the fixing holes for the MM tuners at my stepdad's workshop.(the neck originally had been drilled for hipshot ultralites iirc)
once it was on the bass it was fantastic. the action was scary low.no dead spots or rattles or buzzes or change of anything from day to day. the tone was snappier,harder and had more focus and clarity if a little clinical sounding and lacking warmth, but suited the 2EQ Ray really well
I put 35-90s on the bass for a while and it was insanely easy to play. great slap sounding bass. sold it when i got a huge MOT bill in but have missed it now long time,
Its definetely something I'd want again

Thanks for that - your description of the tone and playability could be just what I'm after - i.e., something a bit more modern sounding.

I have an unlined fretless Fender Japan P-bass neck on my Jazz (ash) body at present. Whilst sounding great, it's not adding much to the Lakland 55-02 and Fender Japan P-bass fretlesses I have. I could try and sell the P-bass neck to a BC person and put the funds for that into a fretless Status P-bass neck. I'm sure someone on this forum with a P-bass might want to experiment with an unlined rosewood board.......

In the dark and distant past I used to have a Status Energy 5-string with a graphite neck - used to like its Rickenbacker like clang...........

Say hello to Kilmaurnock for me - my mum and sis used to live there !