Volume control and jack input down away from away from Bridge
Control cover plate on the back of instrument
Fret-less, no side dots
Black Hardware
White, unfinished
4 string 34" scale
7/16" string spacing at the nut
3/4" string spacing at the bridge

Bloodwood is red (obviously!) a little like Padauk, but with a more interesting grain apparently. Persimmon is black and cream, very dense, part of the ebony family. The string spacing is standard P.

I'm going to do all of the finishing myself, with help from my luthier, who will work on the rest. Depending on the sound when she comes will determine any electrics changes.

Hopefully be posting pics of her out the box soon enough.

I know all about the potential pitfalls I may encounter with a Wishbass, but the input I will have to put in is precisely the reason I'm buying it. If Wishbasses are not your thing, and you are thinking about posting negative comments that it will fall apart/ be unplayable/ etc etc, please don't bother, I've already heard it. If you wish to slag-off Wishbasses, or the people who buy them, then please start your own separate thread. This is a thread for a Wishbass refin, and I wish to keep it as such. Anyone with constructive, positive help or advice regarding the refinishing and rebuilding of bass guitars is most welcome.

[quote name='steve' timestamp='1319827762' post='1419157']
quite like wishbasses, have you been able to try one? looking forward to the pics
[/quote]

I've not been able to try one, so I'm flying blind. I've been after a fretless, and I like the individual philosophy of a wish bass. I was following Mr Foxen's threads, and thought why not?

This post on You Tube tipped the balance for me-

http://youtu.be/Ffd71HG4XW8

Edited by billyapple

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1319827892' post='1419159']
I find artistic guidance in artistic terms is well accepted. For mine I asked for styling 'like it had been dragged, or possibly crawled, out of a swamp'. So he can dig the feel you are aiming for, maan.
[/quote]

We had quite a detailed conversation about wood, and what I've decided on was not what I'd originally had in mind, but he suggested persimmon, and I really liked the look.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1319840544' post='1419334']
The boots say punk, but the custom boutique rig and coffee table bass don't agree.
[/quote]

If styling 'like it had been dragged, or possibly crawled, out of a swamp' aint Punk, I don't know what is. But, if you dare put your can of White Lightning on my coffee table, I'll gob in your eye. :)

Edited by billyapple

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OK. Been a little while since I moved on this topic. Long story short, I've decided not to go with the above choice. Instead. I've done the deal to get this one...

Ambrosia Maple Body, Persimmon Fret-Board. Walnut, Persimmon and Maple Neck

Which is just about to be despatched to the UK. I'll let you know as soon as she arrives.

Edited by billyapple

Well, another day and more Wishbassery. Steve had put the original Bloodwood Lobe on eBay, and I just kept staring at her, like she was a lost child, and thought, what the hell. So I bought her. Now I have Two WishB's on the way. Proper bonkers, me. Had an email that the Ambrosia Maple Lobe is on the way.

The Bloodwood Lobe as appeared on eBay..

Bloodwood Body. Persimmon Fret-Board. Persimmon and Locust Neck

Edited by billyapple

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1323212931' post='1460765']
Ha, I was looking at the listing thinking it looks to have plenty of grain going on.

Gonna fret one?
[/quote]

There has been a whole back-story going on with the Blud. Steve himself thought the Bloodwood a bit plain after I'd asked for deep grain. My reasons for originally rejecting it were not much to do with the grain. But, she's started to grow on me.

Not sure about frets. I've never played a fretless before. I'm going to practice on the Amb, while finishing the Blud. Fretting is a bit beyond my skill, but I know a bloke who can. The jury's out on that one.. We'll see.