Why become a member? ×

Just fitted a set of Hipshot Ultralights....

Muzz

...and they're great. Originally fitted (inc the Ultralight Xtender) to cure the neck dive on my Fenderbird, and they do this admirably. They're a little shorter in the shaft* than the originals, so the keys sit lower on the head, but that's more to do with the fact that they're in a much-used and abused MM P-Bass neck rather than something designed for them.

A bonus is the great feel to the neck now, I really like the lightness of the head: if you move the neck around a bit when playing (as I occasionally do), it feels much more like an extension of your hand than before.

I'm tempted to fit them to all my basses now.

* Oooer missus, etc, etc, write your own punchline here...

And as an addendum to this, got home tonight and the Supertone bridge was waiting for me. Fitted it, and I was initially taken aback by the change in the bass - helps the balance that bit more, comfier on the heel of the hand, but the increase in sustain was startling. The whole bass resonates now - OK, it's not mahogany like a Gibson, but it's really, really good, and feels alive. The FrankenP's off the go-to top spot, and my plan to make a Warmoth super-P is now on hold. Now if I can only find some chrome covers for the pickups...