Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ply Vs Hybrid?

TheRev

I'm going to buy a cheapish DB (up to £900) which will be used for acoustic and amped gigs as well as at home. Ideally I'd like a solid top hybrid bass rather than a full laminate, but do solid tops have the same issues with feedback when amplified as fully carved basses do?

Also - how robust are hybrid basses? I will be gigging this bass and it will be travelling in the back of a van and being humped in and out of venues, so stability & durability is a definite requirement. My current bass is an Eminence EUB, which is effectively a small bodied ply - the live sound is great but feedback can be a problem, so I don't want to get a solid top bass only to find that it's unusable live.

My current top chioce is the Thomann 22, which I believe is a Hora - I've heard one of these live and the sound is very nice, but I'm worried that the solid top makes it too fragile to survive the cider sheds/ropey pubs/crazy crowds that it's going to be exposed to.

All thoughts welcome....

Dave

I play a hybrid and it has travelled loads. Only problem I ever had was a seam opening but you get that on any bass. Just because it's a hybrid doesn't make it good though. Mine is a cheapish one and I've heard some ply basses that sound better. :)

Edited by TPJ

i'd favour a hybrid over a ply, in fact a hybrid amped could be better than a solid in some circumstances. i gig a solid regularly and don't have any qualms at all, although it mostly travels in my car. it got knocked over on stage a while ago and i claimed on my free mu insurance. imo, feedback in a hybrid not an issue.

[quote name='fatback' timestamp='1319205571' post='1411310']
No feedback probs with a hybrid here. I have heard it said that an older hybrid can be better than new in terms of resistance to damage, cracking etc though.
[/quote]

In an ideal world I'd buy a nice secondhand bass that's been around a bit and proved it's worth, but as they're few and far between, I'll probably have to buy new

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1319205655' post='1411314']
Good ply vs bad hybrid. Ya gets what you gets. Drop a Marshall cab on either and ther will be tears!

A good preamp (Fishman PRo Platinum) will stop feedback problems.
[/quote]

My live rig is pretty good as far as feedback is concerned (Plat pro-LMII-downward firing 1x10) but sometimes onstage volume can be high. Having said that, I'll be using my Eminence on the tiny stage gigs and leaving the biggun for the festival stages where I won't be right on top of the guitarist's twin reverb.

[quote name='TPJ' timestamp='1319211244' post='1411420']

What's that then? Do you just put your cab face down?
[/quote]

Pretty much. It's a BFM Omni 10.5 with circular rubber door stops on each front corner. If I'm playing somewhere where I can get it up around head height & firing forward, that's what I'll do, but for most occasions it goes face down on the stage, preferably tucked against the wall to get the most out of the enhanced bass. It isn't always the most articulate sound but I can go pretty loud before the feedback kicks in.