Why become a member? ×

Flatwound/halfwound nylon core strings

BassBus

Is anyone aware of any sets like this? I'm aware of the TI Acousticore but that is round wound. Bit too bright for my needs and would chew up my fretless board. I want to put them on a fretless bass with a piezo pickup in the bridge. I've tried tapewounds, flats and halfwounds. Love my TI Jazz Flats but would love to try a set with nylon core and flat winding if they exist.

Not aware of any - but the TI flats are excellent with piezos. I found the TI acoustics are just too floppy for me to play. I'd suggest trying the Pyramid black plastic flats - not as middly as others, more of a dark plonk and a very soft feel. They look old and sound older, even when new..more dark green than black. I've had a set on a Jbass for a year or more (with bridge mutes) and it does my "acoustic" gigs when I can't be arsed to play EUB.

[quote name='Cyrene' timestamp='1319193931' post='1411038']
let me know when you find your ideal set; i recently got Ti flats on my acoustic and gotta say, i don't love them.
[/quote]
What is it you're not keen on with TI Jazz Flats? I've been trying different strings recently on my Status Electro. Flats I find a bit lifeless on wood necks. The Hotwire Nylon wound are a bit bright, nylon wind on roundwound string. When I came back to the jazz flats the fullness of tone was just lovely. I'd just like to see if any other nylon core strings exist.

[quote name='BassBod' timestamp='1319213818' post='1411462']
Yes they are, and they sort of roll under your fingers...weird, not helped by the very thin diameters.
[/quote]

TI Acousticores work extremely well on basses that are designed to take them such as the Rick Turner Renaissance. The RT has a relatively high action and an acoustic style bridge with through body stringing and a steep break angle over the saddle which I think helps. The feel is firm but springy, very much like a classical guitar. Very playable and contribute to the RTs wide dynamic and tonal range. But I can see that they wouldn't work too well on a regular electric bass with a medium/low setup.

Actually that was on a Martin acoustic, with the action jacked up a mile to compensate for the strings! Springy is the word. They sounded wonderful, but were just too weird an experience for me.

I've got a Turner Electroline fitted with TI flats...now that works fine.

(edit for crap typing)

Edited by BassBod