Why become a member? ×

Learning Bass

funky_numba

Hi guys,

I've been on this site a while ago to get some ideas for buying a bass, setting it up etc!!.

Took up bass about 10 months ago. Bought a second hand generic bass and amp for £50 to get me started. It did me okay to start with however I bought a really nice second hand bass (Yamaha RBX 760a II) from a local shop a few months back. It sounds fab!!

Music likes are mainly funk, soul, blues, fusion, swing, jazz..

I've taking bass lessons for a while now but need a point in the right direction. I have been guilty of learning by playing along to songs on youtube and more or less avoiding the 'homework' given to me by my bass teacher.

My question is... what is the best way to learn better? Are scales [u]really[/u] that important? My brain is telling me that I will not gain anything by this but I feel that I will not progress until I put in some hard grafting with learning scales, theory and reading books on the subject. Should I practice every day????

Please can you advise what you feel is the best way forward?

Many thanks for any help!!!

Regards.

P.

Scales are good. You may not immediately realise their value, but they'll get you infinitely more familiar with your craft.... and they're great therapy!

Play along with a song then when you think you've got it off pat, stop playing along with it and play it solo. When you've done this, break it down, deconstuct it and visualise the make-up. The make-up of other songs gradually becomes more obvious and natural to you.

Practice every day.

Edited by mckendrick

Welcome to the club!

Learning your scales & arpeggios is crucial - the latter even more so as outlining chords & harmony is one of the main roles of the bass player in any band. Learning to read Bass clef would also be a good idea as this opens up more playing opportunities. I'm afraid there's no substitute for hard work in this bass playing malarkey I can tell you...

If you can spend an hour a day working on these subjects, you'll be headed in the right direction. There's loads of good people on this forum who inhabit the Theory & Technique Section (Scott Devine, Bilbo, Doddy, The Major) who can help you out with any questions.

Hope this helps?

Cheers,
louisthebass

there are two types of player I think. You can learn songs 'parrot fashion' from TAB or score if you can read, and you'll get quite proficient at that especially in a band situation. There is nothing wrong with that approach. On the other hand, if you really want to get to know your Bass and be able to 'improvise' your own bass lines or turn up for a session to do your own material then doing the theory will really help. In order to do that, first learn the fingerboard, where all the G's etc etc. Modes will really help you learn hand shapes in order for you to get around the fingerboard with ease. Either approach is fine, just depends on what sort of player you want to be.

Welcome and good luck!

LC

I think learning scales is important. All that repetition teaches your ears what to expect when your finger moves towards a note. You should also practice the intervals and get your ears to recognise at least the commonly used ones.

This way, your fingers become eyes and you know what you are going to hear before you play it. That is essential if you are to improvise with any degree of personality.

It's really about being able to execute what you hear in your head, obviously if what you hear in your head is sh*t by most people's standards, then your ears probably need educating. But if you hear sublime music in your head, and are not able to execute it on the bass quickly and easily, you need to practice what you need to overcome that obstacle.

There are, of course, people who don't read music and know little theory but who can hear great music in their heads and play it without much effort. There are those who sightread and know loads of theory so they know theoretically what will work and can play it, but have little in the way of character in their execution. And there are those with both. Try to be one of those with both.

I learned arpeggios very early - I was fortunate that I had piano lessons and understand the rudiments with regard to music. I started jamming with some of my mates and I progressed from there. Absolutely nothing wrong in jamming along with CDs etc in my opinion - I spent hours doing this when I started and the combined knowledge of scales and arpeggios lets you fill a song out with the bass - complimenting chords and holding the groove are 2 of the fundamentals. Practise, practise and more practise has been my formula - I have at times hit the wall - still do but just see it as the next challenge whatever level you are at!