Why become a member? ×

Ibanez Promethean speaker replacement?

derrenleepoole

Not sure, but I think the speaker in the Promethean combo is perhaps in need of a replacement. Gigged it on Saturday and it was just a washed out, flappy kinda sound. The focused sound that I'm used to simply wasn't there. Not had chance to really test it at home, but if my suspicions are correct and the speaker is in need of replacement, which 10" should I consider? I need a bit of guidance is needed... cheers.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1318855316' post='1406881']
What's the spec?
I've been looking at 10's lately and have it on very good authority that the Eminence Deltalite II 2510's are very good.
[/quote]

The deltalites in a small box have quite a hump around 100Hz so useful for a bit of weight to the sound, though they can't take much 'real' bass. Bloody expensive now though, I got mine for £80-ish each IIRC, now the neo price hike has them upwarsd of £120! You can still get celestion neos cheap from some suppliers so they'd be a good 'budget' option. I'm sure someone will be along to chip in about box tuning etc etc but really with these small cabs they're mostly much of a muchness in that regard. If you don't mind the added weight Fane do a decent 10" I think

Hello!

I wanna tell you a story.

A few weeks ago, I was gigging my Promethean, and the sound turned to mush part-way through a song. At the end of the tune, I checked it, unplugged everything, tried again, and it was fine.

I didn't give it another thought until JPJ (BC'er, not erstwhile Led Zeppelin recorder player) came around for coffee one morning. He was interested in the Prom, so I gleefully demo'd it for him... and it sounded cack. Washed out and floppy, to be precise. I was horrified.

Turns out something was loose in the assembly behind the input jack. I could ease it gently by wiggling the plug, and depending on how it was jiggled, it would either sound washed out and floppy, or the SHAZAM! punchy Promethean tone we've grown to love.

I took the head apart and had a mooch around, but I'm cack-handed so in the end I took it to a repair chap who fixed it and gave it a going-over for 30 quid.

Thinking back, I remember the moment I'll have done it - I was reaching over the combo one day to pick something up, and I accidentally caught the plug, giving it a shove. It had been slightly wobble ever since.

Err... that's it. Hope it helps.

Cheers guys... the thought about the wobbly input never would of occurred to me, but certainly makes an interesting line of enquiry. Thinking back actually, for this gig I didn't have my proper amp to speaker lead for the extension cab I was using... the one I ended up using was a patch cable, not ideal but better than an instrument lead... thinking about it now, this is probably the culprit. More investigation needed me thinks.