Why become a member? ×

Trace elliot preamp, crackles and Flashes.

Chimike

HI,
Seem to have a strange one here, so would apreciate any input. I have a TE 3 channel gpr preamp, and I know the channel switching relays are not functioning properly, should be easy fix, if I can find the same relays.
However, every now and then , there is a sharp " crack " sound, and I noticed, at the same time, that a miniature blue spark would jump from the amp, but not always in the same place ! The designer of the amp advised me to check the soldering to the valve bass, as that's where the highest voltages are, but only 120v, didn't think that could jump 1/4 inch. Could the Toroidal be at fault ? or a condenser ?

What could cause this, anyone have any ideas?

Sparks, like miniature lightning, seem to jump into the air, from the amp chassis, but it is so quick, that I might be missing something.

Mike.

Good advice, thank you .
At the moment, I am interested in what could cause the problem, the highest voltage from the transformer is + or - 15 v, shouldn't be able to generate this kind of thing. I work with several electronic engineers, ( I do their mechanical work ), but before I get them involved, I'd be interested in understanding what's going on.

• 3 months later...