Why become a member? ×

TC Electronic BG500/210 or GK MB210

Delberthot

I'm 24 hours away from buying myself a Gallien Krueger MB210 combo and have seen something that might beat it.

I normally use a Gallien 700RB II which I have just sold and was really looking for something lightweight and that is what drew my attention to the MB combo

But, and I was told never to begin a sentence with but, Thomann are doing the BG500-210 combo for £419.05 which is a hell of a lot cheaper than I've seen it elsewhere.

Gallien - £496, 350w on its own or 500w with another cab, 15kg, limiter, Gallien's own brand neo speakers

TC - £419.05, 500w on its own and no facility to add another cab, 32kg, compressor, 3 user presets, tuner, Eminence neo

I like a punchy tone, the ability to have something a bit dirty as well and I've read a lot of good things about these but its twice the weight of the Gallien. Is it twice the quality?

I hate moments like this. just when I thought I had it all worked out something comes along that makes me think again.

I can't really help you decide... but can tell you I have been using a BG500 for over a year and a half now and had no real problems with it other than the little preset buttons falling out. Which has surprised me as I have been half expecting it to clap out, as I'm a beleiver in you only get what you pay for.
I'd say it's pretty good value for money, has a lot of features and you can get a wide range of sounds out of it, it's also pretty loud and I had no problems with it keeping up with the band 2 fairly loud guitars etc.
It has now been demoted to my home practice and standby amp, it lacked a little bottom end for the sound I was after and also the DI out on mine seemed to distort the signal post eq (not sure why that was)!
All in all a decent budget amp.. and if you buy from Thomann I know they have a decent returns policy, so I'm sure you'd be covered if you didn't like it.
Btw when I was looking at buying a combo I was also looking at the GK stuff and would of probablly bought the 212 combo if it had been available...
Good luck.