Why become a member? ×

Straplock Question

discreet

[b][size=5]Straplock Question[/size][/b]

Never used 'em before. Probably being dim. I understand how the buttons replace the original strap buttons on the bass and how the other bits fit onto the strap, and how to get to two together, but:

I can't fit the buttons onto the bass without them wobbling around all over the shop. Is this normal? The screws are fully screwed into the wood of the bass, but somehow the buttons are wobbly... any suggestions?

Thanks!

Mark

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1317984752' post='1396907']
Are they schaller type?
[/quote]
They are identical to this, strap part attaches to the pin using a spring-loaded cap.
The pin (or button) is screwed to the bass. Or not, in my case.

Edit: spelling.

Edited by discreet

Sorry, your image is blocked at work!!

The Schaller type to rattle a bit when secured, there's a bit of 'play' in the socket but it's quite safe.

Personally I like these [url="http://www.dangleberrymusic.co.uk/p-185-boston-guitar-strap-locks-chrome-ultrasafe-strap-lock-system-for-guitar-and-bass.aspx"]http://www.dangleberrymusic.co.uk/p-185-boston-guitar-strap-locks-chrome-ultrasafe-strap-lock-system-for-guitar-and-bass.aspx[/url] they are really secure and the part which attaches to the strap is more secure. On the schallers you need to add a second nut otherwise it gets loose!

Sorry, the matchstick trick didn't work. It's not that the screw doesn't tighten up properly, it does, but the button/pin doesn't seem to be pulled close to the bass for some reason and is loose? It's baffling me. Which isn't hard to do, admittedly. :)

Sometimes the screws provided are thinner than the originals. This is the case often with the Schaller straplocks, which I use a lot.

What I normally do first of all is try to use the original screws. Sometimes they are too thick and they will not go through the locking strap-button. But often they do. If they do... they will screw in as well as they were. If you still find them a bit loose, then the matchstick trick works.

If I have to use the screws provided... they could be thinner, or longer than the originals. Or both. If thinner... use matchsticks. If still not tight enough, add more matchsticks. It works!
If you just can't screw them far enough, because they are longer than the originals... I would not try to force them, in case the wood splits. Just get a drill with a bit a tad smaller than the screw, and drill the hole deeper. Then try to get the screws fitted again. They have to go all the way, hold the strap-button tightly, and should not wobble. If it does... matchsticks.