Why become a member? ×

help identifying blonde double bass

rockabillybob1

Ignore the black painted edges, these are not original and the front black stripe is graphic tape, under that is 2 thin black lines set into the wood, not painted on, its a 3/4, the tuning pegs are white fingerboard ebony, body is in fantastic condition, measures 8 inch across the side. I strung it with gut on d & g and innovation super silvers on e & a plugged in and wow lovely clean bass sound, deep and warm, the guy that had it owned it for 40yrs so we don't no original age i think Czech or German and no id badge or sticker anywhere inside.It is made of ply it sounds nearly as good as my kay just right up my street for rockabilly . Never seen one with white tuning pegs thanks paid £600 for it didnt even need to set string height was perfect for slapping

Edited by rockabillybob1

Very nice i agree, saw this on ebay.
Good price - decent lammy like that should be worth £900 or more, but that's the market at the moment.

There is another gorgeous blonde bass around,similar white (ivory?) tuners. Still for sale, still asking an awful lot more money!

those black lines are called purfling. They're designed to stop cracks and delamination spreading from the edges.

Still trying to put a number on the Kays in the UK (come on, show us yours! ... or did you already and I forgot?). A dozen, more?
I was talking to Thomas from Slap-strings.de yesterday ... he used to have 15 Kays! And 2 Mortones. And several Framus, and a bunch of other basses. drool...

[quote name='PaulKing' timestamp='1317810226' post='1394748']
Good price - decent lammy like that should be worth £900 or more, but that's the market at the moment.

There is another gorgeous blonde bass around,similar white (ivory?) tuners. Still for sale, still asking an awful lot more money!

those black lines are called purfling. They're designed to stop cracks and delamination spreading from the edges.

Still trying to put a number on the Kays in the UK (come on, show us yours! ... or did you already and I forgot?). A dozen, more?
I was talking to Thomas from Slap-strings.de yesterday ... he used to have 15 Kays! And 2 Mortones. And several Framus, and a bunch of other basses. drool...
[/quote]
it didnt come of ebay this bass that ive got

[/quote]

those black lines are called purfling. They're designed to stop cracks and delamination spreading from the edges. HERES THE KAY BASS WHAT IT LOOKED LIKE WHEN BOUGHT THEN STRIPT IT AND SO ON

[/quote]
ok

[quote name='rockabillybob1' timestamp='1317837248' post='1395253']

ok
[/quote]

THE NECKS ON THE KAY ARE SO THIN AND NICE TO PLAY i picked it up for 350 quid spent 200 with a french polisher freind and i no people say leave it origonal when we stript and stained it it looked better than when they came out of the factory, on the tuning pegs is stamped made in chicago theres a sn no i forwarded to a kay site, turns out was 200th bass made in 1937 what a cool old bass this is and you cant get better for rockabilly and i do gig it thats what they are there for not just ornaments

heres some more ive dun up and sold on dark brown one is a czeck 1960s one stript and redone second one is a german blonde 1960s one this was alot fatter than a standard bass can only describe as jumbo both fantasic sounding when plugged in and accoustically oh the amp is a peavey which i recoverd in tolex 750 w head and home made 4x10 half the width of a standard cab and weight tolex on ebay 15 quid a yard and fender grill cloths 10 quid

Edited by rockabillybob1

[quote name='bob_pickard' timestamp='1317877964' post='1395647']
excellent - I can see I'm going to have to try and make you my new best friend - find me a sorted Kay for £550!!! :) fantastic mate.Do you always use a bassmax? Don't get hideous feedback issues?
[/quote]

you can stand infront of your amp cranked up and get no feedback of a bass max others ive tried just feedback badly

Sorry hi-jacking your thread here :)

Hmm there's obviously something that's helping your bass not feedback there... I wonder if it's the strings being lower tension. I've tried just about every pick up combination - bassmax did seem to be the best of the piezos (with plat pro it was pretty good) but still fedback a fair amount.

I wonder whether steel strings with higher tension feedback more easily....hmmm lot of money for me to change again now :) tempting tho! You haven't got any other mutes or anything on?

[quote name='rockabillybob1' timestamp='1317938441' post='1396572']
750w head 4x10 cab and we play loud
[/quote]

inovation super silvers strings 72 quid of ebay bassmax pickup wedged nice and tight in the g side never had any feedback ever just a lovely deep sound on both my basses even on my 350 watt valve combo fender tv 15 no feedback