Why become a member? ×

Question on reading - in a big band setting

philwood

OK, a month ago I was asked to play in a weekly gig for a big band ensemble, i got the question 'you can read right?', so i gladly said 'yeah sure' knowing full well i'm not that great at it however i knew i had 4 weeks in which to scratch up so I thought what the heck I'll regret not even giving it a shot!
Anyhow first off any survival advice would be much appreciated and secondly i have a specific question regarding counting in from the conductor, ive attached a photo of an example piece of music to help -

The pick-up bar at the beginning - will the conductor count 1,2,3,4 and then im in on that first note in the 2nd bar or would it be 1,2,3,4 then pick up bar and then im in.

Hope all of that makes sense im sure it seems like a dumb question but im actually starting to panic slightly now!!

Thanks for your help!!

100 BPM is not that fast, so 123{4} through the pick up bar would be the norm and you in at the second bar.
After playing the chart a few times, its quite possible the MD/conductor would just give a down beat on 3 to who ever
Is playing that pick up line.

Garry

If I were the conductor, I'd be counting "One and Two and Three and Four and..." to lead the band into the second bar, Within this count, some instrument(s) would play leading notes from the "and" in "...[b]and [/b]Four".

Whatever your conductor counts, there'll be some instruments playing leading notes for the value of one-and-a-half beats before you play your first note.

It'll most likely be a one bar count in with whatever instrument playing the pick-up on the
'and' of 3 of that bar. If it was a faster tempo you may get 1...2...1,2,3(+4). Anyway, you'll
hear the pick-up being played,so you'll know where you are and be straight in on 1.

A few years a go I depped for the cellist for a weeks run of The King and I and turned up for band call having never seen the dots!! The fact it was a paid gig made it worse (more pressure). I got to the theatre early to find the music on the stands and quickly rifled through it to see if there were any solo's of which there were a couple just so I wouldn't just happen across them during rehearsal. I need not have worried, the MD was a great bloke and made allowances for me getting to know the music and by the end of the week I could play it in my sleep. Don't forget to mark up your copy in rehearsal with all the vamps etc and enjoy it! There is nothing like playing with other musicians and you might find that some of them won't have had the dots for long either!

Good luck

LC