Why become a member? ×

Audible volume from different basses

far0n

Right, some technical bod... please explain this. I have a few basses but none seem to produce as much audible volume as my Cort Funkmachine. I play through a Markbass SA450 and two David Eden 2x10s and if I plug in say my Musicman SUB then I have to push the amp so much harder to get the same kinda volume. I do of course trim the input stage to match the output of the basses. I only have to run the amp at a quarter volume for the volume to be ear splitting with the Cort yet with any other bass I have to push the bollocks out of it to get the same volume. Baffles me.

Surely if the input stage is set up properly then the volume from the power stage should be exactly the same, no matter what bass is plugged in ?? Bizarre !!

The easiest way to put it is all pickups have different outputs. Some are just hotter than others. I find that the DiMarzio model P's in my vox are way louder than any P style pup I've come across and the EMG's in my spector are louder than the MEC's in the wicks.

After that you can factor in preamps, pup position etc. It all has a bearing.