Why become a member? ×

Respraying a Fender Jazz neck

Minty

Ever since I've had my standard Jazz, the neck has always given me grief. The rosewood skunk stripe was standing slightly proud of the maple and felt weird to play. I sanded the back of the neck down roughly...but ended up with a nice big maple stain thanks to sweating all over it on a regular basis. You can kinda see it in this photo, but by the time I stripped it it was full on swamp green!

Because I play so much, I figured I should have a bass I'm truly happy with, right? So recently I god rid of those chrome tuners and drilled in some vintage style nickel machine heads (off a USA 62RI).

I also never liked the poly finish, so I took a deep breath and stripped the playing area of the neck back to the bare maple. Most of the stain came off with a little bit of effort too, and it's truly smooth for perhaps the first time ever. Now I'm about to refinish the whole neck with a thin layer of clear satin nitro.
I'll post some photos and an update once I've shot a few coats of clear, which will be tomorrow afternoon with any luck!

Thanks

Okay so I started spraying today...I left a bit of poly on the headstock as it is aging a nice golden colour already, plus I want to keep the original decal. I guess you could kinda call this refinish a "relic" of sorts. Because the raw maple was way paler than the remaining poly-coated wood, I stained the bare areas with some English Breakfast teabags. It actually worked way better than I could have hoped for, and after a light sanding down the colour is right back to what it was before I stripped it!

Just a few light coats to start with. I'm gonna keep the finish fairly thin so it wears nicely.

Here's some photos of the neck still a bit wet from the final coat.

I have to start playing gigs again next Sunday so I hope this current warm weather helps speed up the curing process! I'm not going to buff it with anything more than a rag, just to bring out a nice sheen.

EDIT: No more stain! :)

Edited by Minty