Why become a member? ×

This *may* be a silly question - changing gloss to satin finish

Paul S

I have a Westone Thunder Jet bass which, when I bought it, had been neglected for years - totally covered in sh*te. These came finished in satin black with matching satin black hardware - pretty stealth looking and cool IMO.

I took it to bits, gave it a good clean and a makeoever including a polish at the end to try to remove some of the scratches with T-Cut. This worked a treat for the scratches but I now have a more glossy finish on the body. I can live with this but wonder if it might be possible to get it back to a satin finish somehow.

My thought would be to carefully use an extremely fine wire-wool as per polishing wood grade but don't know if anything else might be more suitable? Any suggestions?

Ta.

Short of having the neck refinished there's no way of getting a satin finish back.
You could try some wire wool but I suspect the best you'll achieve is a 'matt scratch' efect, asuming you don't take it too far and go through the laquer.

My experience with satin fnishes is that they only last a few months anyway as my hands 'polish' the surface - I have three basses here that originally has a satin finish and are now glossy from nut to heel with only the rear of the headstock retaining its original finish...

EDIT: Ignore that - I read it as 'neck' for some reason, funny how a few days away from here gives one slower eyes and faster fingers :)

Edited by icastle

Duly ignored :)

I did previously own a Thunder Jet bass (which I had sold and subsequently regretted) that, although 25+ years old, still had a decent satin sheen to it. This makes me hopeful I might be able to get it back somehow. Maybe just trial and error around the back somewhere. As I say, it isn't crucial.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1316870826' post='1383894']
Duly ignored :)

I did previously own a Thunder Jet bass (which I had sold and subsequently regretted) that, although 25+ years old, still had a decent satin sheen to it. This makes me hopeful I might be able to get it back somehow. Maybe just trial and error around the back somewhere. As I say, it isn't crucial.
[/quote]

How about masking the area around the shiney part and giving it a quick blast with an aerosol of satin varnish? - I think Plastikote do small tins in the local DIY stores.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1316871517' post='1383905']

How about masking the area around the shiney part and giving it a quick blast with an aerosol of satin varnish? - I think Plastikote do small tins in the local DIY stores.
[/quote]

Ideally that would work but knowing my limited spraying skills I'd need to T-Cut it back to a non-lumpy finish and end up where I started! :)

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1316869631' post='1383862']
I have a Westone Thunder Jet bass which, when I bought it, had been neglected for years - totally covered in sh*te. These came finished in satin black with matching satin black hardware - pretty stealth looking and cool IMO.

I took it to bits, gave it a good clean and a makeoever including a polish at the end to try to remove some of the scratches with T-Cut. This worked a treat for the scratches but I now have a more glossy finish on the body. I can live with this but wonder if it might be possible to get it back to a satin finish somehow.

My thought would be to carefully use an extremely fine wire-wool as per polishing wood grade but don't know if anything else might be more suitable? Any suggestions?

Ta.
[/quote]

Go to Talkbass, and check out a thread about the Squier Jazz V De Luxe Active. Someone there bought a black one, shiny. He rubbed the finish lightly to get a satin finish... and it worked out beautifully. He provided details on the thread.

There is always going to be an issue with satin, or matt painted finishes. The additives used (called matting agents) tend to sit at the surface of the finish and can get rubbed off (slowly with your arm or hand, and pretty quick with T-Cut). As a finish, it's a hateful chore to maintain; T-Cut, waxes and even Mr Sheen will be able to completely bugger your finish without a second thought.

Best way to get it back to a satin finish is to refinish it with a satin paint. I wouldn't try spot repair (as suggested) as this is next to impossible to do consistently with satin / semi-matt or semi-gloss finishes. It can be difficult to spray, so if you need a good job, go to a pro...

What else can you do? Well, abrading the surface back to a more matt finish is possible. This needs to be done carefully. Personally, I'd use a P2500 / P3000 wet and dry paper or a superfine scothbrite (rather than wire wool) lightly until I got the effect I was looking for. Problem with this is consistency - you may end up with a patchy body, AND, if you don't take enough care, you may end up with rub throughs.

I wish you luck.

I think I will give it a try on the back of the body and see how it turns out. If it doesn't work there's nothing a bit of polish won't restore and, tbh, it has so many dinks and dents that it doesn't really matter. It only cost me £77 in the first place! - the preamp is worth more than the bass.

Thanks again

Edited by Paul S