Why become a member? ×

Bass Brites

Pete Academy

[quote name='daz' timestamp='1316928065' post='1384416']
Kepping youir bass in a case or bag and washing your hands before playing make a big difference. For once i can claim to practice what i preach too. I now automatically (at least) rinse my hands in warm water if im going to play the bass.
[/quote]

Wise words. People wonder why I won't let them play my bass. Well I don't know how clean your hands are and I don't want a £30 set of strings ruined.

I've always had a thing about having clean hands anyway so it ensures that my hands are always spotless before playing.

Another thing I have done for years is to point a fan at my fingers during a gig. That way my fingers don't get sweaty and stick to the strings and also keeps them from depositing too much funk. I've never had to wipe my strings down because of this.

The bass is the last thing to come out of its bag and the first to be put away.

The smoking ban is bound to have had an effect on string life as well.

• 2 weeks later...

hi!
that's my videoreview of bass brites
- full version (in italian)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DADaXAy98pk[/media]

- cut version

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y50jUAnHv5E[/media]

The nickel strings were old (not already dead but on the way...), I wiped with Bass Brites and waited 24 hours (as suggested). The strings now sound much brighter! They don't sound totally new (I don't think it's possible), but sound almost new and in any case much better!
I don't know if you can hear the real difference on this video (I guess Youtube compression will remove some high frequencies) but I hope so (try watching it in HD)!
Ciao!

Alberto