Why become a member? ×

how bad can a pickup be?

LukeFRC

Question....

Random pickups.... how bad can they be?

Like I'm looking for pickups for a project. and you have all the cheapies on the bay....
but how bad can these actually be?

The bass i'm modding has one P pickup, not nice - and has the magnets stuck to the bottom
and one jazz pup that sounds pretty good

the reason I ask is that I had, and could possibly get hold of again a no-name musician pup... 4 wires (or maybe 5 with the earth) sounded ok I think, (the colours matched the SD wiring guide i think.

Anyway walked home today past local music shop that has some second had bits, and they had a MM pup for £30 or so, except it was one of the ones with the magnet stuck to the bottom- which would lead me to think that the one I had possibly was better....

so the one I had, given we don't have a clue what it was, it can't be too bad can it? think just try and get that back and use that?

[quote name='dr Szelma' timestamp='1316791257' post='1383009']
my friend says "I can't afford buying cheap stuff" and 9/10 he's right. If you want cheap but decent ones, try Wilkinson (Vintage basses are armoured with them)
[/quote]
Id probably go for wilkinsons. I have 2 J types in my vintage jazz, and they sound darn good. Also a soapbar in another bass, also sounds dang good.

Saying that, i bought a P,J,MM each off ebay, and stuck them all in one bass. They have some good sounds TBH.