Why become a member? ×

Lakland Skyline DJ5 FS - SOLD! Please Remove...

sime17

[quote name='drewie' post='1375178' date='Sep 16 2011, 09:17 AM']I love mine. Good luck with the sale.[/quote]

Cheers dudes. I seriously never thought I would get shot of this, it's just that I've found the Stingray to be the horse for my course, if you will. This is the classic case of a bass that deserves better than sitting in a corner doin nowt.

[quote name='MikanHannille' post='1375529' date='Sep 16 2011, 01:58 PM']Long shot but do you accept trades? :)[/quote]

Hi mate - I wasn't planning to on this one, unless it's something irresistable. And Kelly Rowland was going to deliver it personally. Try me tho!

Seriously, I would think long and hard before you sell this. I was a Stingray user for years, and they're a wonderful, bombproof workhorse, but they're a bit of a one-trick pony. Up until recently, I had two DJ5's, one black sparkle Korean, one pearl white Indonesian, both fitted with John East preamps (they're great basses without them, but they really bring the DJ to life - I can't recommend fitting one highly enough) and I sold the white one only because it didn't have quite as fat a sound, plus I had a new rig on the way I had to pay for. I own, or over the many years I've been a bass player have owned, Laklands, Musicmans, Wals, Celinders, Seis and Sadowskys to name only a few, but the DJ5 is now my main bass. They're no longer made, and are getting harder to get hold of. They're easily on a par with basses three times their price. Have I persuaded you to keep it yet?? :-)

Dave

Edited by lowregisterhead

I know - I know! You're the voice of my conscience Dave!

I've absolutely adored this bass, bonded with it in a way that I never really did with my 55-02 (as lovely as that is). It's just delivered the goods night after night since I got it, always looked and sounded classy, never let me down etc. But since getting the Stingray I'm just not playing either of my Laklands any more and that's not good - I can't afford to keep stuff that I don't use and they deserve to go to someone who'll get inspired and fall for them like I did.

Something about the 'ray really feels like coming home tho, particularly the neck - maybe its scale length or string spacing suiting my stubby fingers and rubbish technique (never been taught)! It just feels more comfortable to me now. The fear of one-trick pony-ness held me off Stingrays for years but the double pickup HH and HS models seem to answer that, plus the party band I play for segues everything and I don't get to stop playing for more than a second from the start of the set to the finish - I find the Stingray's pup selector really quick and intuitive to change sound from p-ish to j-ish to ray-ish. It's all kind of put the spoilers on me using the DJ5!

Somebody else will give this a better home. If I get to miss it too much I'll maybe have to try to find a J5 with dimensions that are more like the 'ray - the Mayones Jabba sounds like a good example (in terms of build/sound/value). Whilst your words echo in my head :)