Why become a member? ×

Marshall JCM800 Superbass

JP Soundsystem

I had my first rehearsal last night with my new rig. I was just blown away by the power and warmth of this thing. It seemed a perfect match with my Tbird!!

Even the rest of the band seemed happy.

Has anyone else owned one of these hellbeasts? Any secrets/tips would be much appreciated!

It's also my first valve amp, and my bass playing life has been changed forever. No more solid-state nonsense for me ever again.

Edited by JP Soundsystem

[quote name='bigjohn' post='1374415' date='Sep 15 2011, 01:31 PM']Nice amp. I had one. It was (had gone) brown too.

I seem to remember getting some joy out of the slope control.

Tis a beastie. Though got a little heavy for me![/quote]

That slope control has the ability to flatten cities!!!

I thought it would be ridiculously heavy, so I'm pleasantly surprised at the weight. But then again, I haven't had to carry it anywhere yet!

[quote name='JP Soundsystem' post='1374420' date='Sep 15 2011, 01:36 PM']That slope control has the ability to flatten cities!!!

I thought it would be ridiculously heavy, so I'm pleasantly surprised at the weight. But then again, I haven't had to carry it anywhere yet![/quote]

I had to carry mine about 400m from the shop (luckily to the pub) when I first bought mine.

Never again :)

£580 is alright if you like it and it's in good nick. I sold mine for £450 about 3/4 years ago on here. Probably a little on the cheap side.

I still have mine around, beasty things best of the oldschool IMHO

all i'd say is don't be afraid to play with the EQ (i'm always tweaking..), i know both myself and the previous owner had some slightly more severe settings than on my other amps

what are those cabs you're using with it? :)

[quote name='lucky' post='1374492' date='Sep 15 2011, 02:41 PM']I still have mine around, beasty things best of the oldschool IMHO

all i'd say is don't be afraid to play with the EQ (i'm always tweaking..), i know both myself and the previous owner had some slightly more severe settings than on my other amps

what are those cabs you're using with it? :)[/quote]

The cabs are model '1937' 2x12 bass cabs with the original Celestion G12-65 speakers. They sound magical!!!

I made sure I got to rehearsal early so I could have a good play with the EQ before everyone else showed up. Within about an hour, I'd found 'my' sound. It took me about 6 months with my Hartke!! Simple is best.

I don't have a super bass but I have a JCM800 1959 super lead from 1981. Has the 2 channels and 4 inputs. A friend of mine modded it to have a master volume and 2 gains with one channel having and extra gain section based on a Bognor Ubershall and the other (clean) is the SL, it sounds fantastic with mt bass through an 8x10 and with my guitar through a 4x12. Such good heads.