Why become a member? ×

Lightweight amp head recommendations

winterfire666

[quote name='bassman7755' post='1372977' date='Sep 14 2011, 10:45 AM']Really I think you dont need to worry too much about amp power with a super 12, its a very effecient cab.

I have a benz genz shuttle 6 and an RH450 and both of these are massively loud with my compact+midget combo and a super 12 would be even louder (about 2.5 db louder according to the specs - [b]that almost twice the percieved volume[/b] !!).[/quote]
I think you mean the equivalent of almost twice the wattage - 2.5dB is a very small (but noticeable) increase in actual volume.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Musky' post='1373599' date='Sep 14 2011, 07:26 PM']I think you mean the equivalent of almost twice the wattage - 2.5dB is a very small (but noticeable) increase in actual volume.[/quote]

3db is a doubling of sound pressure measured in some fraction of dynes, so it would have been more accurate to say that a 103 db/1watt cab will generate twice the sound pressure of 100 db/1watt one for a given amount of imput power. so yes your right that its twice the energy and not twice the "loudness" (which is supposedly 10db).

Edited by bassman7755

[quote name='BassBunny' post='1373177' date='Sep 14 2011, 01:19 PM']Just my 10penneth, but try as many as you can first.
My first liughtweight amp was a MarkBass LMII. I tried TC, Genz, EA, etc.etc, (never sold the LMII), and am back with MarkBass again. Now have an SA450 and the LMII.
You will have your own idea of what if right for you. Maybe a trip to Bass Direct or The Bass Merchant would be an idea even though it is a bit of a schlep.[/quote]

This ^ - I've tried all sorts of heads before, during and after I moved from my LMIII to my RH450, and it's all about your ears. Even better would be hanging on till you've got your Super12 and taking it with you to somewhere like Bass Direct (other bass shops are available :) ) or somewhere they have a good selection of heads where you can A-B (and C and D) till you're blue in the face. Actually, if you wanted to try my RH450, you're welcome to pop over to mine.

[quote name='Muzz' post='1374620' date='Sep 15 2011, 04:26 PM']This ^ - I've tried all sorts of heads before, during and after I moved from my LMIII to my RH450, and it's all about your ears. Even better would be hanging on till you've got your Super12 and taking it with you to somewhere like Bass Direct (other bass shops are available :) ) or somewhere they have a good selection of heads where you can A-B (and C and D) till you're blue in the face. Actually, if you wanted to try my RH450, you're welcome to pop over to mine.[/quote]

i might take you up on that offer when i recieve the cab, i like the fact that it has a compressor and tuner in the head, no extra gear needed.
cheers