Why become a member? ×

coated strings

Guest bassman7755

Guest bassman7755

OK I've been using elixir nano web since the dawn of time and very happy with them but was interested if anyone has used any of the other coated ones e.g. DR ?. I'm idly curious to know if the elixirs have been beaten by advances in technology ...

Got some DR Neons on my Yamaha, my 1st outing with coated strings, so nothing to compare them against, but I love em, look..wacky, but thats why I bought em, sound great too, and the coating seems to be lasting quite well, been on there about 9 months now, with no flaking or anything.

[quote name='Doctor J' post='1355735' date='Aug 29 2011, 08:44 PM']Elixir have copyrighted the process of coating the string as a whole. All the others coat the wire and then wrap it around the core already coated, which entirely defeats the purpose in my opinion.[/quote]
No, in its patent of 2002, the specific claim made by WL Gore and Associates Inc for Elixir strings does not relate to when in the process the coating is applied, but is that after submersing a wound string in a bath of liquefied polymer, the string is then removed and any excess polymeric material is "scraped" from the surface of the string leaving only the interstitial voids filled by polymeric material. It is this process of "scraping" that differentiates Gore’s process, and Elixir strings, from those of other manufacturers.