Why become a member? ×

Is possible to build a speaker cab with...

Batfastard

4 6x9 speakers and a 4 channel 600 watt amp from my old car?
As I have been unable to sell these since I got back on two wheels I thought I'd see if its possible to something with them.
I know I'd need to get a transformer to handle powering the amp, or get a battery and have it on constant charge.
All insults, advice (helpful and preposterous) welcomed.

how is it not robust enough? Bearing in mind it would never be gigged. Just a technical exercise really to improve my woeful wood work skills.

[quote name='mentalextra' post='1352823' date='Aug 26 2011, 06:10 PM']Dont bother mate. It will only last five minutes, its not robust enough for use with a guitar. Dont bother with Ebay, stick it on gumtree, it will go![/quote]

No worries mate. I am surprised they wouldn't be robust enough, I've had dub step, reggae, drum'n'bass, electronica, soul and loads of other genres through the speakers and high volumes. Surely they can take the signal from one instrument if they can take that?

[quote name='mentalextra' post='1352967' date='Aug 26 2011, 08:09 PM']In that case go for it! I thought you were intending to use to play your guitar through. Its usually the quickest way to fook a hifi!

Just my opinion, nothing personal :)[/quote]

[quote name='Batfastard' post='1352985' date='Aug 26 2011, 08:27 PM']No worries mate. I am surprised they wouldn't be robust enough, I've had dub step, reggae, drum'n'bass, electronica, soul and loads of other genres through the speakers and high volumes. Surely they can take the signal from one instrument if they can take that?[/quote]

It doesn't take much to get loud in a car - the volume of the car isn't that much greater than the volume of the speaker box. It's a different story when you try to move the air in a room.

But for playing at home the neighbours will get pissed off long before the speakers fry. Just don't expect it to be enough for a gig.