Why become a member? ×

Tech 21 VT Bass Deluxe

LiamPodmore

This is probably one of the strangest ideas i've had, but does anyone think its possible to take the guts of a VT Deluxe, and put it into a rackmount chassis with a 4 button footwitch? I'm planning on moving to a rack system later this year, along with getting a VT Deluxe but i don't want cables trailing across the stage (Main reason i'm going wireless) because they get annoying. Its probably a stupid idea, but i'll bounce it off you guys anyway, you're more knowledgeable than me.

Liam

[quote name='LiamPodmore' post='1351760' date='Aug 25 2011, 10:07 PM']This is probably one of the strangest ideas i've had, but does anyone think its possible to take the guts of a VT Deluxe, and put it into a rackmount chassis with a 4 button footwitch? I'm planning on moving to a rack system later this year, along with getting a VT Deluxe but i don't want cables trailing across the stage (Main reason i'm going wireless) because they get annoying. Its probably a stupid idea, but i'll bounce it off you guys anyway, you're more knowledgeable than me.

Liam[/quote]

Maybe I misunderstood, but wouldn´t the 4-button footswitch be trailing cables anyway?
In any case, you should be able to unless the pots and jacks are directly soldered to the board.
IMO, it´s too pricey to risk f****** up on, but that´s just me. Maybe you could get a pro to do it for you?

[quote name='Pollinator95' post='1352106' date='Aug 26 2011, 10:23 AM']Maybe I misunderstood, but wouldn´t the 4-button footswitch be trailing cables anyway?
In any case, you should be able to unless the pots and jacks are directly soldered to the board.
IMO, it´s too pricey to risk f****** up on, but that´s just me. Maybe you could get a pro to do it for you?[/quote]

Yeah the footswitch would be 1 cable, but running the VT on its own would be 2 cables and a power cable. I would be getting a pro to do it for me, i'm not confident enough not to mess it up. Would be much easier if Tech 21 just made one themselves, but we can't have it all our own way.

Liam

[quote name='LiamPodmore' post='1353050' date='Aug 26 2011, 09:21 PM']Yeah the footswitch would be 1 cable, but running the VT on its own would be 2 cables and a power cable. I would be getting a pro to do it for me, i'm not confident enough not to mess it up. Would be much easier if Tech 21 just made one themselves, but we can't have it all our own way.

Liam[/quote]

Not sure I get this either? I run my VT Deluxe on batteries (which appear to last forever, even when I inadvertently leave cables plugged in overnight) and one cable? Personally I suspect you might be over-thinking this :):)

[quote name='Beedster' post='1353072' date='Aug 26 2011, 09:36 PM']Not sure I get this either? I run my VT Deluxe on batteries (which appear to last forever, even when I inadvertently leave cables plugged in overnight) and one cable? Personally I suspect you might be over-thinking this :):)[/quote]

I probably am, but knowing me i'd end up going stupidly complicated with a MIDI switched rack effects setup sometime in my future. For now i'll just leave it simple and just get a VT bass, i'll sort out what i want to do with it when i get all my rack setup.

Liam

Hmm interesting idea. I'm sure it can be done without too much hassle, as long as you know your way around a soldering iron. I'm not sure why you would want to though really. If you're getting a wireless system i'm assuming you're going to be hooking up the footswitch to your effects loop? In that case, you could just buy a dual jack to jack cable (not stereo, but 2 side by side) and it won't be any more unwieldy than just having one cable. In fact, you wouldn't even need a special cable really, you could just tie the 2 cables together with cable ties. Then you can just use batteries for the pedal.

Edited by EdwardHimself

[quote name='LiamPodmore' post='1353895' date='Aug 27 2011, 09:37 PM']Just had a proper think about this, decided it'l be best to make myself up a small pedalboard with the VT, Tuner and another pedal or two on, and then just wrap all the cables in a shield-like thing i have to run out to the board and back. Thanks for the help anyway.

Liam[/quote]

Great idea :)