Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Speaker Impedance?

mrdreadful

Righto, having got the Cab ov Elvis off Nick and played through it a bit I took the driver out so I could find out what the power handling and impedance were as I figured they'd be useful to know when I get another cab... and there was no label anywhere that even hinted at these numbers.

Is it possible for me to work the impedance out at home using a multimeter?

[quote name='Tinman' post='1351413' date='Aug 25 2011, 03:26 PM']Yes.....it will give you a nominal figure as a guide. I've done it myself before.[/quote]

DC resistance will be lower than the nominal impedance. 8 ohm speakers will usually read around 5 ohms on a multimeter.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1351530' date='Aug 25 2011, 05:03 PM']Thermal power handling is never useful though.[/quote]

Can you clarify that? As I understand it power handling is how you stop yourself blowing speakers up, which surely is a pretty useful thing.

Thermal power handling will be way above what the limit of mechanical excursion is - if it's a decent speaker it'll probably only take 50% of the rated RMS at the bottom end. Less if it's not so good. Use your ears, and if it distorts turn down the volume and/or the bass EQ.

[quote name='mrdreadful' post='1351694' date='Aug 25 2011, 07:51 PM']Can you clarify that? As I understand it power handling is how you stop yourself blowing speakers up, which surely is a pretty useful thing.[/quote]

Thermal power handling is one type of power handling, it is the highest one, thus you'll find the limits of all the other ones before you find that, and the speaker will already have broke before you get there.