Why become a member? ×

......earthing problem i think?

mentalextra

I have noticed that there is a very quiet constant rustling type intereference that stops when I put my finger on the bridge or control panel. Have I answered my own question with an earthing problem. Its a bitza jazz that has been up and running for a couple of weeks now. I have checked the wiring again to make sure the soldering is still good and checked the bridge earth. The only thing I dont have is "shielding" in the cut out for the control plate. What sort of material should I use if I need this?

Cheers

[quote name='mentalextra' post='1348171' date='Aug 22 2011, 05:24 PM']I have noticed that there is a very quiet constant rustling type intereference that stops when I put my finger on the bridge or control panel. Have I answered my own question with an earthing problem. Its a bitza jazz that has been up and running for a couple of weeks now. I have checked the wiring again to make sure the soldering is still good and checked the bridge earth. The only thing I dont have is "shielding" in the cut out for the control plate. What sort of material should I use if I need this?

Cheers[/quote]
Usually Copper Tape, adhesive backed thin copper, but you need to solder all the joins to ensure continuity & make sure it contacts the metal control panel. Are your controls physically connected by a ground wire or are they relying on contact via the plate? Have you tried another instrument cable just to eliminate that?

Cheerz, John

[quote name='KiOgon' post='1348239' date='Aug 22 2011, 06:45 PM']Usually Copper Tape, adhesive backed thin copper, but you need to solder all the joins to ensure continuity & make sure it contacts the metal control panel. Are your controls physically connected by a ground wire or are they relying on contact via the plate? Have you tried another instrument cable just to eliminate that?

Cheerz, John[/quote]

Hi mate thanks for that. Where would I obtain Copper tape? Also, I have checked all my wiring. I had to fit a new control plate and pups when I built the guitar and soldered everything then. Should I "overdo" earthing connections or keep them to a minimum. I remember reading something about too many earth connections causing interference problems?

Cheers, Mike

Reading your op again, I'm wondering if the jack socket is well & truly connected physically & electrically to the control plate? Don't suppose you've got a multimeter?

I'd solder a wire from the jack socket outer ring to each pot body & link to the bridge, to be sure.

[quote name='KiOgon' post='1349404' date='Aug 23 2011, 08:22 PM']Reading your op again, I'm wondering if the jack socket is well & truly connected physically & electrically to the control plate? Don't suppose you've got a multimeter?

I'd solder a wire from the jack socket outer ring to each pot body & link to the bridge, to be sure.[/quote]

Thanks, I will give it a go

I took out the control plate and checked over the wiring again. Everthing seemed good, so I thought I would just add some more earthing wires. After fitting it all back its still the same but now I had a distorted neck pup. Took the control plate out again and it seemed the pot was crackling (only a few months old). The connection for the "+" wire for the pup seemed to be the problem. When you wiggle the wire the sound cut in and out. On closer inspection the small tab that you solder the pup wire to was a little loose on the circuit board of the pot. I managed to put a small dab of solder but it looks like another pot is going to be needed. At the moment it is sounding all good but I have still not solved the earthing problem. It makes a gentle rustling noise after a few seconds of switching on which disappears when you place your finger on any of the metalwork ie bridge strings control plate. Still at least it is sounding ok :)

Edited by mentalextra

[quote name='KiOgon' post='1353892' date='Aug 27 2011, 09:28 PM']Have you tried a different lead?[/quote]

Sorry yes I didnt mention that. I followed a pretty standard jazz wiring diagram that I pinched off this site. The only difference was running the bridge earth wire to the output jack earth instead of onto the tone pot earth, but as they are connected I couldnt see a difference.

Maybe I shouldnt expect total silence while the bass is on. Its not the noise that bothers me, but the fact that I appear to be earthing it! :)

Edited by mentalextra