Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bridge for a Precision Bitsa

BottomE

Hiya,

i have just finished modding a Squier Affinity into a Precision Bitsa. I'd like to put a better bridge on the bass, one that will allow adjustment of the string spacing. I play mainly Jazz basses and whilst the neck on the Precision isn't an issue the extra distance between the strings is.

What bridge can you recommend that will fit on an Affinity P Bass (without extra drilling if possible)?

Thanks

[quote name='BottomE' post='1345675' date='Aug 19 2011, 05:41 PM'].... I play mainly Jazz basses and whilst the neck on the Precision isn't an issue [b]the extra distance between the strings is[/b]....[/quote]
Really? String space at the bridge is exactly the same be it P or be it J. :)

From your pic the spacing seems pretty standard, although you could do with shifting the E/A pup in a bit.

Schaller do the best fender replacement bridges [b]IMHO[/b]. For pure functionality I'm a 2000 fan but it doesn't look traditional which can put some off if you are putting it on a fender type bass.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1345687' date='Aug 19 2011, 05:54 PM']Really? String space at the bridge is exactly the same be it P or be it J. :)

From your pic the spacing seems pretty standard, although you could do with shifting the E/A pup in a bit.

Schaller do the best fender replacement bridges [b]IMHO[/b]. For pure functionality I'm a 2000 fan but it doesn't look traditional which can put some off if you are putting it on a fender type bass.[/quote]
Thanks for the tip on the Pup. Will have a go tonight.

Ok, i should explain. My main bass is a Jazz with a Badass 3 on. This comes with grooved saddles and i have adjusted the strings onto the saddles into a position i think is comfy - apparently narrower than the standard setting whatever that is. I have heard that there are some bridges that offer a 3 way adjustment?

Yep. Check out the Schaller 3D for a good example.

It depends on how you look at it but you should set the string spacing as per your pups (so you get even coverage with no volume drop over your strings) then adjust your technique to match the spacing... rather than the other way around.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1345711' date='Aug 19 2011, 06:19 PM']Yep. Check out the Schaller 3D for a good example.

It depends on how you look at it but you should set the string spacing as per your pups (so you get even coverage with no volume drop over your strings) then adjust your technique to match the spacing... rather than the other way around.[/quote]
Indeed. The adjustment is only going to be a fraction. I'll check out the Schaller 3D.