Why become a member? ×

£300 budget bass?

Ben Jamin

[quote name='Ben Jamin' post='1343851' date='Aug 17 2011, 11:38 PM']Cheers for all the suggestions guys!

I had a look into all of them, and then it turned out my friend was selling his Yamaha BB415, so he's got that for a tidy £200, leaving him with £100 to spend on a nice cable and strap :lol:

It's all black, nice and classy looking, so it should fit in with most styles he wants to play. Pretty much perfect condition. Very nicely set-up.

The main thing is the neck's really great to play and the action's nice and low with no buzzing, so he should be able get around the board easily enough with his smaller hands. Also the P/J combo covers a good deal of tonal ground and sounds pretty good. The construction's solid, being Yamaha, so it should last him too. Strung with DR Fatbeams too, which is a nice bonus! :)

Mission success?[/quote]

+1 for Yamaha
Never go wrong with a Yammy. I have a BB414, I have it fitted with flatwounds and its always been my go to bass. Great tone phat sound, he wont be disappointed :)

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1345210' date='Aug 19 2011, 10:42 AM']Hmmm, I'm getting Yamaha GAS now. Other than a Blazer as my first bass I've never really looked at a Yamaha.
Not wishing to hijack the thread but keeping the cost to around £300-400 what Yamaha has a jazz sized neck?

Cheers.[/quote]

Haha, yeah I quite like the look of a Yammy back-up too :)

My friend used to have an RBX270 which had a pretty thin neck if I remember correctly. I think I read somewhere that Chris Wolstenholme used to use an RBXsomething in the studio a lot when they were recording Absolution, and he's very much into Jazz width necks. So maybe check out the RBX range? I could be wrong, of course :)

This one looks pretty cool, and it's within the price-range: