Why become a member? ×

Settin up my effects loop/board

basshead56

Hi guys,
First post in quite a while!

I have just started putting together a very basic set-up here in NZ- 77 Precision, Fender Rumble 100.
Effects wise I've got a Markbass Supersynth and a Sansamp VT Bass Deluxe on a Coffin Case board.
I am also looking at getting a Boss Tu-2 tuner.
My question is- what is the best way to run the effects?
I plan on using the effects loop of the amp as much as possible, but not sure which way round.
Also keen on the idea of adding a loop station at some point.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

(Really missing my Ampeg and Marshall rigs and my Bad Mutha Board-which had all my effects prewired and recessed into a case-just had to plug into a boss PSM going back to the effects loop!) :)

Personally I run all my pedals into the Input on my amp, and would reserve the effects loop for rack based units. I would put the tuner first directly after the bass, so it gets the cleanest signal possible. The order which you put the synth and the vt bass are up to you. Some put the VT bass directly before the amp as it's technically an amp simulator... But I put all gain-y pedals before other effects. Try experimenting both ways round and see what results you get :)

Hey there!

I would use the VT Bass into the Rumble's effects in, instead of plugging it into the front panel input. That way you will use only the power section of the Fender, ignoring it's preamp. I'm sure you won't miss your Ampeg + Marshall rig so much if you do this.

So my setup would be:

Bass => Tuner => Mark Bass Synth => VT Bass => Rumble (effects loop in)

Give it a try!

Cheers

Not much to add to that, the rules of thumb for me are:
Stompbox effects are meant to go between the instrument and the amp.
Rack effects are meant to go in the fx loop between pre-amp and power amp stage. This is in general, htere are always exceptions.
Tuner first as chrismuzz says, cos it needs to get the cleanest signal to work best.
After that for stompies its eq effect, then distortion, then modulation, finally time-based (echo/reverb) - again a general rule of thumb - some like chorus before distortion/overdrive, others prefer it afterwards.
It is worth swapping around a bit as you may prefer to mix it up. The above works best for most people.