Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Lakland 55-01 NTMB - buzzing

martinbass7750

Hi All,

I recently bought a used Lakland 55-01 NTMB which I love (from this site)

But, I've found that when i turn the volume up there's a fairly loud buzzing through the speaker - it gets much quieter if I touch the bridge.

It's also there if I switch into passive mode, although slightly quieter.

I thought it might be mains earthing, but my Ibanez SR505 doesn't make the noise.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Cheers

Martin

Edited by martinbass7750

[quote name='martinbass7750' post='15539' date='Jun 11 2007, 11:50 AM']Hi All,

But, I've found that when i turn the volume up there's a fairly loud buzzing through the speaker - it gets much quieter if I touch the bridge.

I thought it might be mains earthing, but my Ibanez SR505 doesn't make the noise.

Cheers

Martin[/quote]

Have you seen this thread on buzzing problems? [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=194"]buzz[/url]

Hamster

[quote name='martinbass7750' post='15539' date='Jun 11 2007, 12:50 PM']Hi All,

Cheers

Martin[/quote]

I agree with the others that it could be an earthing problem but i also have a buzz with mine (i have upgraded(!) to a NTMB) but with mine its RF interference. I first noticed it when i sat down in front of my PC to record some stuff, its quite loud. If i turn the monitor off it goes away. I now have a LCD so its not a problem but i have also noticed it a few times at gigs if i get too close to our stage lights. Im sure it wasn't there when i first got the bass and its definitely not an earthing problem (plus i use a wireless system). Even my Jazz bass is quieter.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='15625' date='Jun 11 2007, 02:50 PM']I agree with the others that it could be an earthing problem but i also have a buzz with mine (i have upgraded(!) to a NTMB) but with mine its RF interference.[/quote]

Hi,

thanks for all the replies.

It does sound like RF interference - I can change the amount of noise by moving around, but never get rid of it.

Like I said, my SR505 it quiet, so I'm surprised the Lakland picks up so much interference.

I'm wondering if the pre-amp is oscillating and acting like a receiver.

I'll have to bring it into work and have a good poke around with a scope - it might be that it just needs a 0.1uF cap on the power rail.

If I find out the cause, I'll post some more information.

I have emailed Lakland, but no reponse yet.

Cheers

Martin

[quote name='martinbass7750' post='15682' date='Jun 11 2007, 03:06 PM']Hi,

It does sound like RF interference - I can change the amount of noise by moving around, but never get rid of it.

Like I said, my SR505 it quiet, so I'm surprised the Lakland picks up so much interference.

I'll have to bring it into work and have a good poke around with a scope - it might be that it just needs a 0.1uF cap on the power rail.

Cheers

Martin[/quote]

I know there have been problems caused by the finish on some Laklands where the conducting paint on the inside of the control cavity has been painted/laquered over so you don't get continuity with the cavity cover.

Hamster

[quote name='martinbass7750' post='15682' date='Jun 11 2007, 04:06 PM']Hi,

Cheers

Martin[/quote]

I look forward to reading your findings. Im useless at this sort of stuff but i know when something isn't right.
I must say that upgrading the stock pre to the NTMB has only made things worse. Its probably me but i haven't noticed any improvement in tone.
I do believe though that its the pups rather than the NTMB as i posted my problems last year ago over at the dude pit

[quote name='Hamster' post='15687' date='Jun 11 2007, 04:10 PM']I know there have been problems caused by the finish on some Laklands where the conducting paint on the inside of the control cavity has been painted/laquered over so you don't get continuity with the cavity cover.

Hamster[/quote]

interesting - I'll look at that. I also wondered about lining the cavity with aluminium foil - it does seem like it could be a screening problem

Cheers

Martin

p.s. still no response from Lakland!

[quote name='martinbass7750' post='15891' date='Jun 11 2007, 07:56 PM']interesting - I'll look at that. I also wondered about lining the cavity with aluminium foil - it does seem like it could be a screening problem

Cheers

Martin

p.s. still no response from Lakland![/quote]

AFAIK the Skyline **/01 & **/02 series [i]should[/i] have the control cavity shielded with conductive paint, but this sometimes didn't work well as I pointed out. The USA **/94 series should have a foil shielded cavity, which is better. Also, again AFAIK the NTMB preamp was made for the **/02 pickups, but has made it's way into the **/01 series so there maybe a slight imbalance between the pickups and preamp.

Hamster

Hi Guys,

a bit more information on the buzzzzzzzz

last night I found that the neck pickup was noisier than the bridge pickup - I could reduce the amount of buzz by setting the pickup balance towards the bridge pickup.

I emailed Lakland again, and tonight I had a pleasant surprise - they think it's a noisy pickup, and are going to send me a new one.

I'm very impressed with their response and helpfulness.

I'll let you know if it cures the problem when I've installed it.

Cheers

Martin

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the [b]free of charge[/b] replacement pickup arrived last week. I've fitted it, and the buzzing has gone.

I'm very impressed with the service Lakland have given me - it took a while for the new pickup to arrive, but they emailed me to say they were waiting for stock to arrive, hence the delay.