Why become a member? ×

My current collection

Chris2112

Here are a couple of quick photographs of my current collection, I decided to make best use of the fact it wasn't pissing down with rain and get the basses outside for a quick snap!

First of all there is my Status Series II, a model dating from 1987/1988 with the serial #487. Funnily enough, my brother identified it as being the bass in this video:

I bought it earlier this year after having spent years wanting a Status Series II. I had always thought 'I want a Kingbass', but the Series II had always sounded a little better to my ears. I decided earlier this year I was just going to buy the best of either when one came up in my price range and I chanced across this one. It's absolutely wonderful, in amazing condition. Aside from a small patch of oxidisation on the bridge you would be hard pressed to believe it hadn't just came out of the shop! It was recently checked over by Rob at Status prior to me buying it, and I discussed it with Dawn over the telephone whilst they had it in the shop. She stated it was one of the nicest Series II basses around and had been well looked after, so I am quite pleased to see the previous owners have been careful! I absolutely love this bass, I think I'd be daft to let it go!

It's got a lovely birdseye maple top, a mahogany body and a green accent stripe.

This next bass is my ACG Harlot Singlecut. There is little I can say about this bass that I have not already mentioned in the review I covered in my signature, suffice to say that it is incredible and probably the bass closest to my heart, despite the Status getting played a little more as it's newer (to me!). I had to drive to Haltwhistle in my Focus to get it, which makes me realise how long ago it was that I got the bass, relatively speaking! Pete, the original owner, specced the bass very well and it's something that I believe Alan, the builder, is still very proud of. It's a stunning bass in every respect; stunning to look at, stunning to play and stunning to listen to. Of all my basses, it's probably my favourite overall tonally because it has that lovely burpy, middy character you get from the filter preamp. Think of a Wal bass and you're pretty much there, with a little more tonal flexibility.

And here is my newest bass, an Iceni Zoot bass. The spec sheet reads like a 'dream list' of what you'd want from a fretless. The neck is a woven graphite item with an ebony fretboard and maple 1/4 fretlines. The body is sapele mahogany with a figured maple top, finished in aquaburst fading to black on the sides and back. The pickup is a Bartolini humbucker and the Schaller bridge is fitted with shadow piezo units. It's fitted with a Bartolini preamp for the magnetic pickup and a Bartolini item controling the piezo tone. It is wonderfully built and plays very well, but it's currently strung with ground wounds so I'm not getting the best tone from it. When I get back from holiday I'll put some roundwounds on to let it sing like it should! I've only had it a few days and I'm getting my fretless chops back together but I am very pelased with this. I had missed having a nice fretless in my collection and this one fits the bill perfectly. It is easily a match for the Alembic fretless I had last year...once I've got some roundwounds on it I'll see how much better it is!

Lovely Series II - I had the same problem with tarnish on the tuner/logo plate but removed it with some vigorous polishing (indeed, the tarnish was a problem with the laquer on the brass rather than the brass itself). I removed the lacquer entirely - the brass obviously needs more regular polishing but it's nice and shiny all over (I'd recommend Flitz - the favoured polish of Alembic users but equally good on a Status).