Why become a member? ×

Sonuus B2M/i2M & Reason

bassjamm

Hello everyone...

I've just stumbled across the Sonuus B2M device and like the sound of it.

My knowledge of midi and all that is somewhat limited, but I have a Line 6 Toneport UX2 and run Garageband and Reason on my laptop. Can I use the B2M with Reason then, allowing me in effect to turn my bass into a Midi Controller for the program...unlocking untold noise making capabilities and Squarepusher-esque fun for hours upon end?

Please say it's so...

If anything I'm guessing I may need to get a different interface to convert the midi into a laptop friendly language. Or can I just get a Midi to USB lead or something?

EDIT: I see they make the i2M Musicport, which if I'm not mistaken is a midi convertor and an interface...2 in 1 yes? It just doesn't allow you to send an un-affected single anywhere right? Nothing that couldn't be fixed with a blend pedal or something right?

Whatever the case...I'm seriously excited about the prospect of this!

Yes yes!

Thanks in advance party people...

Jamie

Edited by bassjamm

Hey mate

The one that does the audio to midi (the 2 in 1 version) will indeed let you use your bass as a midi controlled.
However. For analog devices, such as the boss v-bass you won't get too much latency, but for digital programs like reason/cubase I'm pretty sure you will get a slight latency delay.

Feel free to try it out. But I'm certain there will definitely be a mild case of latency.

• 2 months later...

I've got an i2M which I use in conjunction with both Reason and Ableton Live, and the latency is so microscopic as to be virtually inaudible. I can use it perfectly in a live situation triggering either midi notes, or as a High-Z audio interface, and it tracks perfectly all the way down to open E. Never used it with my 5 string, but there's a function in the editing software to set it for a 5-string bass.

All I would say is, if you're planning on getting one of Sonuus's products (and just on personal experience I'd recommend the i2M), make sure your intonation is dialled in as exact as you can possibly get it, and that your bass is perfectly in tune, otherwise you risk triggering double midi notes while the i2M tries to figure out exactly what note you're trying to play.

I have uploaded a brief doodle I did into a logic synth with no quantisation or anything. I am more than aware that it could usefully be tidied, but it is just as an example of plug and play synthy goodness. It goes straight in on USB and is just recognised as a controller. You can change tunings and have it respond as a 6 string bass tuning.

http://soundcloud.com/owen-lloyd-evans/mocha-yourock-2