Why become a member? ×

So what's the technical term for this?

molan

I am totally ignorant when it comes to reading music or any sort of musical theory (I play entirely by ear) but I've just been listening to the Dan Penn & Spooner Oldham classic "I'm Your Puppet" and noticed that they've changed the arrangement in recent years.

The basic original sequence was Bf C D then rising to F & G

They now start it a semi tone higher on B, same C to D but then rise to F# before the G (at least that's how I'm hearing it!).

Obviously the opening note in each sequence is making a difference but the change from F to F# is the real killer for me - sounds so much nicer. Quite cool that they've decided not only to go out playing their older stuff as a duo again but also that they are updating arrangements :)

So I just wondered what the musical term(s) might be for something like this?

N.B. They also play it a lot slower than the original as well which makes the change even more pronounced.

Here's the new arrangement if anyone's interested:

Edited by molan

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bassman7755

[quote name='molan' post='1339927' date='Aug 14 2011, 07:35 PM']I am totally ignorant when it comes to reading music or any sort of musical theory (I play entirely by ear) but I've just been listening to the Dan Penn & Spooner Oldham classic "I'm Your Puppet" and noticed that they've changed the arrangement in recent years.

The basic original sequence was Bf C D then rising to F & G

They now start it a semi tone higher on B, same C to D but then rise to F# before the G (at least that's how I'm hearing it!).

Obviously the opening note in each sequence is making a difference but the change from F to F# is the real killer for me - sounds so much nicer. Quite cool that they've decided not only to go out playing their older stuff as a duo again but also that they are updating arrangements :)

So I just wondered what the musical term(s) might be for something like this?

N.B. They also play it a lot slower than the original as well which makes the change even more pronounced.

Here's the new arrangement if anyone's interested:

[/quote]

Sounds like the song is in the key of G, The Bb C D being the 3rd 4th and 5th degrees of G major. The F# is the 7 the degree, kind of hard to see how a natural F ever would have fit - would change the character of the song to more of a country feel.

[quote name='bassman7755' post='1350857' date='Aug 24 2011, 10:53 PM']Sounds like the song is in the key of G, The Bb C D being the 3rd 4th and 5th degrees of G major. The F# is the 7 the degree, kind of hard to see how a natural F ever would have fit - would change the character of the song to more of a country feel.[/quote]

Thanks for this - here's the original version:

Of course, with my limited knowledge, it's entirely possible that I'm not 'hearing' this right!

Edited by molan

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='bassman7755' post='1350857' date='Aug 24 2011, 10:53 PM']Sounds like the song is in the key of G, The Bb C D being the 3rd 4th and 5th degrees of G major. The F# is the 7 the degree, kind of hard to see how a natural F ever would have fit - would change the character of the song to more of a country feel.[/quote]

Correction - I meant to write B not Bb ...

• 3 weeks later...
Guest bassman7755

To quickly revisit this, the only difference I can tell between the versions is that in the newer version the bass plays alot on chord 3rd degrees especially in the verse to give it a more "airly" feeling whereas the older one is more plain chord roots.