Why become a member? ×

Don't Like My Varitone - Modding Advice Needed

Rumple

Hi All, I have recently finished a Jazz Bass build (link in signature) and I used a Varitone for the electronics but find it brings nothing to the the table over VVT you get with a standard bass, I do like the look of it though, I could replace it with a bog standard set-up but wondered if I converted the Varitone to standard VVT could I use the redundant swithches for anything useful? one switch is a 3 way the other a two way.

I must point out that I know very little about electronics so be gentle :) I have a mate who was an electronic engineer and would do the work for me if I tell him what I need.

Cheers

R.

Thoughts I have had but I have no idea if they would work, can be done with the origiinal switches or actually be any point in doing:

On/Off switch, so you can mute the bass but leave the volume knobs set as I like them.

Series/Parallel switch - no idea what effect this has to the sound of a bass.

Bypass switch, can you have pick-ups going straight to the output jack avoiding all the knobs and is ther any advantage.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='1340688' date='Aug 15 2011, 02:10 PM']series parallel is like the Fender S1 switch on jazzes from a few years ago - you can get a more beefy precision-like sound in the additional series position.[/quote]

That's interesting, thanks for the info, much appreciated.

[quote name='tommorichards' post='1340771' date='Aug 15 2011, 03:30 PM']Im not sure what type of switch you would need, but as well as the on/off one, you could try a series/parallel/bypass switch.[/quote]

Interesting, have you had any exerience of a bypass switch? I'm assuming you mean it bypasses all the controls and goes directly to the output jack?

Cheers

[quote name='Rumple' post='1340798' date='Aug 15 2011, 03:52 PM']Interesting, have you had any exerience of a bypass switch? I'm assuming you mean it bypasses all the controls and goes directly to the output jack?

Cheers[/quote]
Yeah, ive got one in my P bass. Adds a little extra zing. All it does is take the output of the pickups where they attach to the volume, and sends it straight to jack. One of the simplest mods to do IMO.