Why become a member? ×

New Guy From The Potteries

Sand Boa

Hi Everyone,

Just thought I would say hello, from not so sunny Stoke On Trent.

I am 54 and just setting out on the bass.........well they say its never too late to learn.

I was given an old Honer bass and seem to be enjoying myself.

I would like peoples opinions as to getting myself a decent bass. My main music preference is Yes and in particular Chris Squire.

As I cannot afford a 4001 Ricky, what bass and amp on a reasonable budget could achieve something like the sound of a Ricky.

I realise that the strings are also a factor.

We thats it,I look forward to getting more info through the forum but in the meantime any imput would be appreciated

Cheers

John

Welcome. Ricks are a tad on the expensive side.... Visually, the Retrovibe RV4 is a good start. Cheap-ish and good quality. Not sure if anyone has actually modded one on here to sound like a Rick.
Failing that, Rickenfakers come up from time to time on here and the 'bay.
There's a good thread somewhere here on Rickenfakers. Worth a read.
Nige :)

Welcome...I was a late starter (late forties) and now playing in S.Wales cover band Turner Street Crash. Enjoy it, it is great fun.
I have an '83 Ricky 4001 in Fireglow (among my 15 basses) - nice guitar but couldn't play it on gigs as it is uncomfortable and I think the tone is a biut too trebly for the Free/Bad Co songs that seem to dominate the set ('77 Precision does the trick). Once played an Indie Ricky copy which wasn't bad in feel but couldn't vouch for tone - it looked good, was light.

[quote name='Pbassman' post='1337717' date='Aug 12 2011, 02:53 PM']Welcome...I was a late starter (late forties) and now playing in S.Wales cover band Turner Street Crash. Enjoy it, it is great fun.
I have an '83 Ricky 4001 in Fireglow (among my 15 basses) - nice guitar but couldn't play it on gigs as it is uncomfortable and I think the tone is a biut too trebly for the Free/Bad Co songs that seem to dominate the set ('77 Precision does the trick). Once played an Indie Ricky copy which wasn't bad in feel but couldn't vouch for tone - it looked good, was light.[/quote]

[quote name='Sand Boa' post='1337632' date='Aug 12 2011, 01:58 PM']Hi Everyone,

Just thought I would say hello, from not so sunny Stoke On Trent.

I am 54 and just setting out on the bass.........well they say its never too late to learn.

I was given an old Honer bass and seem to be enjoying myself.

I would like peoples opinions as to getting myself a decent bass. My main music preference is Yes and in particular Chris Squire.

As I cannot afford a 4001 Ricky, what bass and amp on a reasonable budget could achieve something like the sound of a Ricky.

I realise that the strings are also a factor.

We thats it,I look forward to getting more info through the forum but in the meantime any imput would be appreciated

Cheers

John[/quote]

Hello John and welcome to the forum. Well I guess only a Rick is going to sound like a Rick but there are plenty of copy Ricks out there that might fit the bill. Chris Squire is my fave bass player and I play a Rick so I know where you are coming from. Check out the this site you may find a bargain. I guess a lot depends on your budget as well....good luck!